Speedometer Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer Access

My speedo has stopped working so I need to find out if it’s a cable problem or the speedo itself. Either way I’m going to need to access the back of the speedo and there lies the problem. It would seem that the instruments have been mounted through the wooden dash and into the alloy dash behind therefore locking the two together so I can’t access the top screws that fit the dash to the dash mount moulding. I’m probably missing something obvious but anybody got any ideas how to get to the back of the speedo?

Re: Speedometer Access

Sorry, can't help directly. I've got a plain ally dash covered in black leathercloth. There is a dash capping which on my car is screwed at either end, the screw heads aren't visible unless the door is open. Maybe that may reveal further fixings.

Comment

Like this I think (but it's a Hunter)
      Attached Files

Comment

Ive got the dash capping off ok but its the dashboard itself I can't figure out how to remove. According to the build manual the alloy dash is attached by a series of screws, some on the underside roughly where the heater controls are located which I can see but the others are just under where the capping overlaps but in my case I either haven't got any or they are under the wooden dash. My layout is almost identical to the one above except there is a small screw each end roughly where the small speakers are. With these removed I can gently lever the ends of the wooden dash away from the alloy one but it seems pretty obvious that the wooden dash is clamped in place by the speedo and rev counter.

Comment

Originally posted by ggrum View Post
          Ive got the dash capping off ok but its the dashboard itself I can't figure out how to remove. According to the build manual the alloy dash is attached by a series of screws, some on the underside roughly where the heater controls are located which I can see but the others are just under where the capping overlaps but in my case I either haven't got any or they are under the wooden dash. My layout is almost identical to the one above except there is a small screw each end roughly where the small speakers are. With these removed I can gently lever the ends of the wooden dash away from the alloy one but it seems pretty obvious that the wooden dash is clamped in place by the speedo and rev counter.
          You will have to remove the alloy dash with the wooden one. I removed mine last year for a similar reason, and the screws holding the alloy were revealed when the capping was off. There were larger holes in the wood so that the screw heads went through it and tightened against the alloy. Any sign of the wood being filled to hide the heads?

Comment

Good thought Geoff but there is no evidence of any filled holes. As I mentioned before I can pull the wooden dash away a couple of mm from the alloy one at the ends having taken those screws out but its firmly attached in the middle region where the instruments are. It seems that the instruments are clamping both the wooden and alloy dashboards together and I don't think I can get to the back of them with the dash in place. I really can't work out how the builder assembled it in the first place unless he built the dash up first and assembled the rest of the car around it!

Comment

I can only suggest looking behind the dash with a torch and a mirror, (and possibly a contortionist), to see if there are any hidden screws along the top edge.
              Incidentally, my problem turned out to be a failed nylon speedometer drive gear in the gearbox. Fixable, but I fitted an electronic speedo instead.

Comment

Have you tried finding a contortionist these days!!! Oh well, I'll continue to think on. Thanks for your ideas.

Comment

I've found that poking my smart phone with camera on 10 second day behind the dash gets some goo pics.
                  - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                  - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                  - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                  - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                  - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Hi Geoff
                    If you want a hand give me a call. I can still manage to contort my frame into the most unlikely of places.

Comment

Hi Alan,

Thanks. What I plan to do first is disconnect the speedo cable from the gearbox and check the drive gear first based on geoff b's experience. If that seems ok then its back to the speedometer and the dash. Let you know how I get on.

Comment

Hi,
                        have you been able to remove the dash yet? Had to get behind my dash, and took a few snaps. Don't know if yours is the same type of fixing. First you need to remove the steering column cowls and the indicator stalk control, and the top cover. My dash has screws along the top, two screws up through the returns each side under the bottom at the sides, and screws holding the enclosure that the radio slots into, to the bottom of the dash. Although these do not need to be undone as the assembly pulls forward, allowing access to the rear of the dash. Hope this helps.
                        Regards Mike
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hello Mike, I have decided to leave the job now until the summer is over because I plan to replace the whole dash and instruments. I have located the screws shown in your 2nd and 3rd photos but I don't have the row of screws under the cover as shown in your 1st photo so it will be interesting to see what happens. I did remove the cable from the gearbox and at first I thought it must be broken because there seemed to be about an inch of inner missing but I couldn't find it anywhere. I could just about see what I thought was the broken end up the cable but couldn't get hold of it to pull it out. I then pushed it in and it went in about an inch and was still going so I realised the cable must have come away from the back of the speedo. When I replace the instruments I'll probably fit an electronic speedo and dispense with the cable.
                          Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                          X