Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Speedometer Access

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1 Speedometer Access 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    My speedo has stopped working so I need to find out if it’s a cable problem or the speedo itself. Either way I’m going to need to access the back of the speedo and there lies the problem. It would seem that the instruments have been mounted through the wooden dash and into the alloy dash behind therefore locking the two together so I can’t access the top screws that fit the dash to the dash mount moulding. I’m probably missing something obvious but anybody got any ideas how to get to the back of the speedo?

2. #2 Re: Speedometer Access 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member chris_cussen's Avatar
    Sorry, can't help directly. I've got a plain ally dash covered in black leathercloth. There is a dash capping which on my car is screwed at either end, the screw heads aren't visible unless the door is open. Maybe that may reveal further fixings.
    Cabrio, Omex 2.0l 150bhp Zetec blacktop, Omex ECU and wiring loom.

3. #3 Re: Speedometer Access 
    Like this I think (but it's a Hunter)
    Attached Images

4. #4 Re: Speedometer Access 
    Ive got the dash capping off ok but its the dashboard itself I can't figure out how to remove. According to the build manual the alloy dash is attached by a series of screws, some on the underside roughly where the heater controls are located which I can see but the others are just under where the capping overlaps but in my case I either haven't got any or they are under the wooden dash. My layout is almost identical to the one above except there is a small screw each end roughly where the small speakers are. With these removed I can gently lever the ends of the wooden dash away from the alloy one but it seems pretty obvious that the wooden dash is clamped in place by the speedo and rev counter.

5. #5 Re: Speedometer Access 
    forum contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrum View Post
    Ive got the dash capping off ok but its the dashboard itself I can't figure out how to remove. According to the build manual the alloy dash is attached by a series of screws, some on the underside roughly where the heater controls are located which I can see but the others are just under where the capping overlaps but in my case I either haven't got any or they are under the wooden dash. My layout is almost identical to the one above except there is a small screw each end roughly where the small speakers are. With these removed I can gently lever the ends of the wooden dash away from the alloy one but it seems pretty obvious that the wooden dash is clamped in place by the speedo and rev counter.
    You will have to remove the alloy dash with the wooden one. I removed mine last year for a similar reason, and the screws holding the alloy were revealed when the capping was off. There were larger holes in the wood so that the screw heads went through it and tightened against the alloy. Any sign of the wood being filled to hide the heads?

6. #6 Re: Speedometer Access 
    Good thought Geoff but there is no evidence of any filled holes. As I mentioned before I can pull the wooden dash away a couple of mm from the alloy one at the ends having taken those screws out but its firmly attached in the middle region where the instruments are. It seems that the instruments are clamping both the wooden and alloy dashboards together and I don't think I can get to the back of them with the dash in place. I really can't work out how the builder assembled it in the first place unless he built the dash up first and assembled the rest of the car around it!

7. #7 Re: Speedometer Access 
    forum contributor
    I can only suggest looking behind the dash with a torch and a mirror, (and possibly a contortionist), to see if there are any hidden screws along the top edge.
    Incidentally, my problem turned out to be a failed nylon speedometer drive gear in the gearbox. Fixable, but I fitted an electronic speedo instead.

8. #8 Re: Speedometer Access 
    Have you tried finding a contortionist these days!!! Oh well, I'll continue to think on. Thanks for your ideas.

9. #9 Re: Speedometer Access 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member David's Avatar
    I've found that poking my smart phone with camera on 10 second day behind the dash gets some goo pics.
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

10. #10 Re: Speedometer Access 
    Hi Geoff
    If you want a hand give me a call. I can still manage to contort my frame into the most unlikely of places.