Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Speedometer Access

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11 Re: Speedometer Access 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Hi Alan,

Thanks. What I plan to do first is disconnect the speedo cable from the gearbox and check the drive gear first based on geoff b's experience. If that seems ok then its back to the speedometer and the dash. Let you know how I get on.

2. #12 Re: Speedometer Access 
    Hi,
    have you been able to remove the dash yet? Had to get behind my dash, and took a few snaps. Don't know if yours is the same type of fixing. First you need to remove the steering column cowls and the indicator stalk control, and the top cover. My dash has screws along the top, two screws up through the returns each side under the bottom at the sides, and screws holding the enclosure that the radio slots into, to the bottom of the dash. Although these do not need to be undone as the assembly pulls forward, allowing access to the rear of the dash. Hope this helps.
    Regards Mike
    Attached Images

3. #13 Re: Speedometer Access 
    Hello Mike, I have decided to leave the job now until the summer is over because I plan to replace the whole dash and instruments. I have located the screws shown in your 2nd and 3rd photos but I don't have the row of screws under the cover as shown in your 1st photo so it will be interesting to see what happens. I did remove the cable from the gearbox and at first I thought it must be broken because there seemed to be about an inch of inner missing but I couldn't find it anywhere. I could just about see what I thought was the broken end up the cable but couldn't get hold of it to pull it out. I then pushed it in and it went in about an inch and was still going so I realised the cable must have come away from the back of the speedo. When I replace the instruments I'll probably fit an electronic speedo and dispense with the cable.
    Thanks for your help.