Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camshaft bearing clerance problem

Hello
    My engine rebuild is progressing (very slowly) but recently I have installed a new set of camshaft bearings (Glyco N145/3 STD).
    A new FR30 Kent camshaft went in very easily and it has more play than expected. So I took them for a ride to an experienced friend (20+ pinto engines build/rebuild) and engine workshop for measurements.
    The difference between bearing diameter and camshaft diameter on all bearings is about 0.130 mm and my friend said that even used camshafts rarely have that clearance.
    I have asked Kent Cams and it looks like the camshaft is within specs (at least their specs) but the recommended clearance is 0.025 - 0.065 mm. So my clearance is twice or even 5 times bigger.
    Does anybody knows the original pinto camshaft size?
    Internet search for Glyco bearings dimensions only gives the suitable (recommended) camshaft diameter range but did not specify the bearing itself.
    Do you know other proved brands for the bearings?
    Reagards
    Roman

Re: Camshaft bearing clerance problem

This is to update the tread and not let the question without answer.

The fault was at the bearing openings in the cylinder head. Unfortunately I was not able to find a specification for this but after ordering 4 sets of camshaft bearings of different production date and checking with different camshafts it turned out that the same set of bearings and camshaft fits perfectly in another head....
    As the process of chrome plating and re-grounding the openings seemed questionable and quite expensive, decision was made to find another cylinder head.
    So another two days of porting the inlet and exhaust canals, light skim, transferring the valves, springs and a set of new stem seals was put together.

Recently I swapped the engine and just running it in. First impression is quite positive.
    Attached Files

Comment

Roman
      Sorry I didn't see this post earlier.
      Try the following web site, full of useful info for pinto engine

DaveH

Comment

Thank you Dave

This was my daily reading for over a year now.
        I have found the oversized bearings p/n here:

But unfortunately nobody have ever seen them.
        The above link is very useful in finding original Ford part numbers.

Comment

Working...
        X