Painting a cast iron exhaust manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting a cast iron exhaust manifold

Any one have any good recommended paint & preparation methods for re-finishing a cast iron exhaust manifold.

I needed to the the old herald manifold off as the studs were stripped, causing the exhaust to blow. Whilst I have it off, I thought it deserved a lick of paint.

Don't want something that will last 5 minutes !

Any suggestions welcome !
    Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
    Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Re: Painting a cast iron exhaust manifold

Mornin' Richard - I don't know about High temperature primers but in the past I've found High Temp paint
    spray cans (use several coats) to be quite effective direct onto a degreased (use cellulose thinners or meths) surface

For longevity the finish needs to "cook off" and the instructions for this are on the cans

Comment

In my experience the only coating that has any longevity on a cast iron manifold is rust.
      Paul

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions Dave and Paul, I eventually went for Paul’s option. I couldn’t stand the car being off the road another week !

The old studs refused to come out, so they had to be drilled, holes re-tapped and new studs.. test drive later !
        Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
        Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Hi

My mate with his 1965 e-type jag has used this and still looked good after the drive to Le Mans Classic and back via Calaise.

Rustoleum 1078-7778-1015-7715 High Temp Black-Aluminium(1).pdf

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
          Mornin' Richard - I don't know about High temperature primers but in the past I've found High Temp paint
          spray cans (use several coats) to be quite effective direct onto a degreased (use cellulose thinners or meths) surface

For longevity the finish needs to "cook off" and the instructions for this are on the cans

Comment

Just to prove I wasn’t being flippant I got this from Wikipedia “As with other metals, like aluminium, a tightly adhering oxide coating, a passivation layer, protects the bulk iron from further oxidation.”
            Paul

Comment

Working...
            X