Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steering rack.

Try Demon Tweaks.
    All types of Superflex bushes by return of post. It's where I got mine.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Message originally posted by: Danny Nelson.
      Superflex or Polybush Donnie.

Comment

Willdo. Trust me to find a third company - one that's gone bust...

Thanks folks.

Comment

GRRRRRRR!

Unflippinbelieveable.

Just received my Superflex bushes and, yep, you've guessed, they don't fit. So my original rack probably WAS Cortina, and my new one is gawd knows what.

Oh, and Deflex HAVE gone out of business, about 1 week after I sent my order... (It looks at the moment, tho', as if they haven't taken my money - so that's one less hassle)

I'm just about to find out how 'machineable' polyurethane is...

Comment

Oh for pity's sakes...

Guess what's just popped through the post? Yep, the Deflex bushes ordered 6 weeks ago...

What's worse than a set of bushes that don't fit? Right again; TWO sets that...

I have to say that Deflex's bushes look very poorly moulded compared to Superflex's, so I might chop them up first to make them fit

Comment

Update (for those who haven't been able to sleep wondering wot had happened...)

Well, I've finally fitted the rack! I still don't know what car it was intended for, but it certainly wasn't a Cortina Mk3. TWO (see post above) sets of Mk3 poly bushes - which were correct for the rack I removed - proved pretty conclusively that my new rack was the wrong one. However, since it was identical in every other respect except tube diameter, I decided to proceed.

So, I spent a whole day widening the internal size of the Superflex bushes by around 6mm. This involved heating the surface with a soldering iron (now defunct of course) until it was softened enough to allow the scraping off of a tiny layer of material (~0.5mm each time) with a chisel. This was probably the most tedious task I've ever performed in my life and believe me it has some pretty stiff competition. During this process, I discovered that polyurethane is a lot tougher than skin, but not as hard as bone. I'd post a photo, but appreciate that some of you may be of an icky disposition.

At least it's on, and is VERY firmly clamped as the bushes were still slightly too big - the hefty clamps did an excellent job of tightening down. Good job it isn't a safety-related component (Ok, ok; I'm confident it's all very secure and safe - honestly)

I now have a spare set of Deflex poly bushes which are going free to a good home (I'm pretty sure I didn't end up paying for them!) Bare in mind these are pretty poor quality compared to the Superflex ones; they don't have the very smooth finish of the Supers, and don't even have the slits in them to allow fitting (YOU need to do that)! However, they ARE very tough (er, there is a chisel mark on the inside of one where I did my first 'test'), and are a lovely bright orange colour...

Let me know if you want them and I'll chuck them in the post.

Oh, I set my toe-in by using a length of 4x2 with a 1 foot high 2x1 upright fixed at each end. Into each of these uprights - at wheel centre height - was screwed a 4" woodscrew. I placed this piece of precision apparatus under the car at the back of the front wheels, and turned the screws until they just touched the insides of the alloy rims on both sides. Repeated on front... My Haynes manual says alignment is from 4mm toe-in to 2mm toe-out; quite a margin for sloppiness! I set mine slightly in.

Test drive tomorrow...

Comment

OHMEGAWD!!!

A transformation! I have to say I'd have been pretty pee'd-off if the improvement had been only slight after all the grief I've suffered but, well, it was like a different car. Smooooth, silky, light (ok, except when parking) and, wait for this - it self-centres after a corner!!!! What do you mean "it's MEANT to"? Mine didn't before

The silkiness is obviously down to the new rack and track-rod ends, but I wonder if my tracking had been miles out for ages?!

Very pleased!

Comment

Donnie,
                  With your new found polyurethane honing skills you could pare the material away from the spare bushes and meke.....

Hockey Stick Trim.....
                  Yippee !
                  Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Ha flippin' ha!

I've been picking gloopy polyurethane from my work troos all week - yuck. The car is soooo much better, tho'!

Comment

Working...
                    X