Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty Headlamp Shell

Hi,
    Thought i would pass on some info on Cabrio headlamp shells. The Marlin supplied headlamp shell is thin chrome on steel and very prone to rust, particularly on the rim and mounting bracket. My Cabrio is 16yrs on the road, and it was time i replaced the shells. I wanted to replace the original chrome on steel with Stainless. The cheapest i could find in the UK were these - Wipac 7" Complete Single Headlight Lamp ,Stainless Steel- from KIT CAR DIRECT at £250 the pair! Further searching on the internet brought up 7inch Stainless Headlamp "Buckets" from Speedway Motors Inc USA. They are listed at - https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stain...ket,58822.html - and are described as "Stainless Steel Dietz Type 7 Inch Headlight Bucket Universal Fit". These are identical to the original Marlin supplied headlamp shells, but crucially are Stainless. The cost including postage was 101 dollars, about £80. plus I had to pay £21 customs on them. My total was about £100 compared to the £250 wanted from the UK supplier. The process was straightforward, i needed to "chat" online to get a postage price, paid by credit card, received an e-mail when they arrived in the UK, telling me i had to pay the customs duty to Customs Clearance UK to get them released, and that was it. Now fitted and i am very pleased as i know that they will never need to be replaced due to rust!
    While changing the headlamp shells, i took the opportunity to upgrade the bulbs. I am now using RING XENON ULTIMA bulbs which are a huge improvement on the basic H4 bulbs.
    Hope this is of some use to fellow Cabrio owners.
    Regards to all
    Mike
    Attached Files

Re: Rusty Headlamp Shell

Very smart!

Comment

Re: Rusty Headlamp Shell

Yes, a good job. Which reminds me my right side headlamp is rattling in the bowl I need to look at that!
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Working...
      X