Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Coil overs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. #21 Re: Coil overs 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    It would be of interest to know what figures/weights you used in the calculation, especially corner weight, un sprung weight and shock ride height. Also wondering what the rating would have been for the original torsion bar -Anyone know?

Looks to be a good mod and not mega bucks either.

2. #22 Re: Coil overs 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member nigel_cordrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Hogg View Post
    It would be of interest to know what figures/weights you used in the calculation, especially corner weight, un sprung weight and shock ride height. Also wondering what the rating would have been for the original torsion bar -Anyone know?

Looks to be a good mod and not mega bucks either.
    Untitled.jpg

bit of guesswork involved and measurements taken from my Marlin.

The corner weight is working on the total weight being around 740kg with 50/50 weight distribution

https://www.marlinownersclub.com/for...ghlight=weight

and it can't be to far off because when I lowered the car of the jack, the springs compressed the 2 1/2 inches I was after.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by nigel_cordrey; 03-06-2019 at 05:47 PM.

3. #23 Re: Coil overs 
    Many thanks

4. #24 Re: Coil overs 
    Excellent!
    I had not realised just how much of an angle the damper sat at

The 0.584 - "motion ratio" means that the spring moves for 0.584 inches for every inch the wheel moves - and you SQUARE that to get the required spring rate

So despite the 250 lb/ft springs your Marlin is SOFTER sprung than my Device with 110 lb/inch springs and a little more weight

5. #25 Re: Coil overs 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member jon_cox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    Excellent!
    I had not realised just how much of an angle the damper sat at

The 0.584 - "motion ratio" means that the spring moves for 0.584 inches for every inch the wheel moves - and you SQUARE that to get the required spring rate

So despite the 250 lb/ft springs your Marlin is SOFTER sprung than my Device with 110 lb/inch springs and a little more weight
    Hi Nigel

I think you have the angle of the shock absorber wrong. I believe it should be 70 degrees not 40!? From the instructions on the website you have used it says "find the angle of the centerline of the spring or coil-over assembly from the horizontal"
    I think you may have input the angle between the shock and the lower arm when in the steady state and as the lower arm is at quite a steep angle downwards from chassis to wheel then this has crept in an error.
    I may be wrong but wanted to point this out just in case so that others who may be thinking of following your design can be very sure.
    Jon

6. #26 Re: Coil overs 
    Quote Originally Posted by jon_cox View Post
    Hi Nigel

I think you have the angle of the shock absorber wrong. I believe it should be 70 degrees not 40!? From the instructions on the website you have used it says "find the angle of the centerline of the spring or coil-over assembly from the horizontal"
    I think you may have input the angle between the shock and the lower arm when in the steady state and as the lower arm is at quite a steep angle downwards from chassis to wheel then this has crept in an error.
    I may be wrong but wanted to point this out just in case so that others who may be thinking of following your design can be very sure.
    Jon
    If the measure was taken from the vertical instead of the horizontal then the 40 degrees becomes 50 degrees and from that calculator the "motion ratio" becomes 0.696 - which as it is squared means that 30% softer spring is needed to get the same effect

7. #27 Re: Coil overs 
    I have measured mine and got 55 degrees from the horizontal. This then gives a spring rate [to nearest round figure] of 200 lbs