Coil overs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coil overs

I know what you saying, the calculator actually pointed towards an evan higher rating. But the settings I have works for me

Comment

all working as it should

Comment

Good result. This could be a winter plan. Duncan ,what is your 'device' it looks awsome!

Comment

Great to see them in action, may have to invest in a pair myself but I must concentrate on getting mine on the road first.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
            Good result. This could be a winter plan. Duncan ,what is your 'device' it looks awsome!
            "Duncan's Dubius Device" - is my electric roadster - Hitachi Forklift motor and Chevy Volt Battery

My Marlin is sitting in my shed - and unfortunately does not have space for batteries so it will end up with an old Ford 1300 crossflow - no time at the moment to build it

Comment

It would be of interest to know what figures/weights you used in the calculation, especially corner weight, un sprung weight and shock ride height. Also wondering what the rating would have been for the original torsion bar -Anyone know?

Looks to be a good mod and not mega bucks either.

Comment

Originally posted by A_Hogg View Post
                It would be of interest to know what figures/weights you used in the calculation, especially corner weight, un sprung weight and shock ride height. Also wondering what the rating would have been for the original torsion bar -Anyone know?

Looks to be a good mod and not mega bucks either.
                Untitled.jpg

bit of guesswork involved and measurements taken from my Marlin.

The corner weight is working on the total weight being around 740kg with 50/50 weight distribution

https://www.marlinownersclub.com/for...ghlight=weight

and it can't be to far off because when I lowered the car of the jack, the springs compressed the 2 1/2 inches I was after.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by nigel_cordrey; 03-06-19, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Many thanks

Comment

Excellent!
                    I had not realised just how much of an angle the damper sat at

The 0.584 - "motion ratio" means that the spring moves for 0.584 inches for every inch the wheel moves - and you SQUARE that to get the required spring rate

So despite the 250 lb/ft springs your Marlin is SOFTER sprung than my Device with 110 lb/inch springs and a little more weight

Comment

Originally posted by duncan View Post
                      Excellent!
                      I had not realised just how much of an angle the damper sat at

The 0.584 - "motion ratio" means that the spring moves for 0.584 inches for every inch the wheel moves - and you SQUARE that to get the required spring rate

So despite the 250 lb/ft springs your Marlin is SOFTER sprung than my Device with 110 lb/inch springs and a little more weight
                      Hi Nigel

I think you have the angle of the shock absorber wrong. I believe it should be 70 degrees not 40!? From the instructions on the website you have used it says "find the angle of the centerline of the spring or coil-over assembly from the horizontal"
                      I think you may have input the angle between the shock and the lower arm when in the steady state and as the lower arm is at quite a steep angle downwards from chassis to wheel then this has crept in an error.
                      I may be wrong but wanted to point this out just in case so that others who may be thinking of following your design can be very sure.
                      Jon
                      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Originally posted by jon_cox View Post
                        Hi Nigel

I think you have the angle of the shock absorber wrong. I believe it should be 70 degrees not 40!? From the instructions on the website you have used it says "find the angle of the centerline of the spring or coil-over assembly from the horizontal"
                        I think you may have input the angle between the shock and the lower arm when in the steady state and as the lower arm is at quite a steep angle downwards from chassis to wheel then this has crept in an error.
                        I may be wrong but wanted to point this out just in case so that others who may be thinking of following your design can be very sure.
                        Jon
                        If the measure was taken from the vertical instead of the horizontal then the 40 degrees becomes 50 degrees and from that calculator the "motion ratio" becomes 0.696 - which as it is squared means that 30% softer spring is needed to get the same effect

Comment

I have measured mine and got 55 degrees from the horizontal. This then gives a spring rate [to nearest round figure] of 200 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by nigel_cordrey View Post
                            Dave

I did it years ago, I just removed the torsion bar no need to cut it as it pulls out of the lower arm so you can go back. Then replaced the std. shock with the coilover after making a new lower bracket as it now has the carry the weight of the car. and replaced the bush on the end of the arm with a polybush, I only did it to make room for the gearbox plus it looks better. I will post photos when I take it off the jack.

I am considering this modification myself. The thing that concerns me is the strength of the lower bracket as it is fundemental to stopping your bum dragging along the ground :-).
                            You said it was a few years ago - do you recall what you did to re-inforce/re-make it? (I can't remember what I did last week...)

Cheers, Robin

Comment

Originally posted by duncan View Post
                              "Duncan's Dubius Device" - is my electric roadster - Hitachi Forklift motor and Chevy Volt Battery

My Marlin is sitting in my shed - and unfortunately does not have space for batteries so it will end up with an old Ford 1300 crossflow - no time at the moment to build it
                              It looks to me like it has been reversed to move the lower mount further out towards the wheel and is made of thicker material. Although it would ne difficult to make the tongue that fits between the two halves of the lower arm any thicker without further modification to the original parts. It will be interesting to know what was done in reality
                              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

How is the inner end of the lower arm located if you remove the torsion bar ? I'm assuming additional bracketry would need to be welded to the chassis rail otherwise you would 'hanging' the lower arms of a single bracket/tab in it's original form

Comment

Working...
                                X