Engine options for Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine options for Roadster

I have a friend who has a LWB Roadster which originally had a 1700 O Series engine in.
    Are there any other engines which can be fitted without modifying chassis engine mounting points?

Re: Engine options for Roadster

Message originally posted by: Don
    I belive the Rover two litre twincam engine as fitted to Rover 400 and 800 series will fit as it was based on the O series (which itself was a development of the B) Use a SD1 gearbox and mate the two using a sherpa bellhousing (O series to SD1 G' box) There was an article in Practical Classics a year or two ago on how to do it to your MGB
    Gives 140 BHP plus

Comment

Message originally posted by: Lee
      Chris
      I have a Lotus Twincan hung on the original welded on mounts to the chassis.Also measured up a 16V vauxhaul twincam at the time and this would also fit.

Comment

Chris,
        Why not go for something modern. The Ford zetec SE is quite a favourite at the moment. All alloy engine so very light and the exhaust and induction are the correct way around so no mods to the steering column required. Would be quite expensive though as the bell housing is specially made to convert to rear wheel drive.
        I have been thinking about the MX5 1800 engine and box as well as these are very available and already for the job. Would have to mod the column for this option though. The fule injection could be a bit tricky.
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
        - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Compared to the 'B' anything is modern! I had a 420SLi a few years ago and thought that was a quite a nice engine, and a good noise too. They must be quite plentiful and cheap I would have thought.

I'm very interested in this conversion - do we know what else would be required? Can the existing back axle/diff/propshaft be retained? Do you retain the injection and ECU etc. or switch to carbs?

Comment

I've done some digging and it was Practical Performance Car that did the conversion. They're trying to locate a copy of the relevent mag for me...

Comment

Good write-up in PPC this/last month about the Rover T16. Why not go the whole hog and fit the turbo version..!! Have a look at http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/mac65/T-SeriesKB/rwd4x4.htm - there's a link to an T series MGB plus a load of useful info. Also PPC mentioned that Robin Hood have a stock of new T series engines. ?1000 bags you a complete turbo unit...I can see my Xmas list shaping up already.
              Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
              Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Just called Robin Hood - they don't have any engines and don't expect to have either!

Comment

Working...
                X