Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Chassis Paint

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1 Chassis Paint 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Hi,
    The chassis on my Cabrio is in need of some cleaning up and repainting.
    Has anyone found a really good, long lasting, rust preventing paint system?
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Mike

2. #2 Re: Chassis Paint 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Alan c's Avatar
    POR15
    But its hard to work with - special thinners and once can opened it cant be re-sealed as paint on lip sets like metal

3. #3 Re: Chassis Paint 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Tony Stott's Avatar
    +1 used it on the chassis / frame of an ancient Fire Brigade trailer, it outlasted the trailer, ++20 years!!

4. #4 Re: Chassis Paint 
    Club Member
    I and others have had some success with Aldi "Deco" metal care paint. But the supply is unreliable.
    Paul

5. #5 Re: Chassis Paint 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike woodley View Post
    Hi,
    The chassis on my Cabrio is in need of some cleaning up and repainting.
    Has anyone found a really good, long lasting, rust preventing paint system?
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Mike
    Hi Mike.
    I have used the following with good results. It has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

Rustoleum Combi Colour Original, black satin gloss. It is an exact match for the infamous powder coating.

It is in tins and brushes straight on to rust. Obviously degrease and wire brush first. Don’t get the aerosols its not the same! The combi colour brushing version smells, works and lasts like the old Finnegans smoothrite before the green zealots ruined it.

I bought mine from Brewers, Alphington Retail Park, EX2 8NH. They are next door to Dreams bed store by Sainsburys super store.

BTW it was me that waved to you in Russell Way, as you were driving into Tescos a few days ago. Pop in for a cuppa next time! Peter.

6. #6 Re: Chassis Paint 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member listerjp2's Avatar
    Totally agree. Rustoleum is absolutely brill doesn't chip like Finnegans as paint is flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by greyV8pete View Post
    Hi Mike.
    I have used the following with good results. It has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

Rustoleum Combi Colour Original, black satin gloss. It is an exact match for the infamous powder coating.

It is in tins and brushes straight on to rust. Obviously degrease and wire brush first. Don’t get the aerosols its not the same! The combi colour brushing version smells, works and lasts like the old Finnegans smoothrite before the green zealots ruined it.

I bought mine from Brewers, Alphington Retail Park, EX2 8NH. They are next door to Dreams bed store by Sainsburys super store.

BTW it was me that waved to you in Russell Way, as you were driving into Tescos a few days ago. Pop in for a cuppa next time! Peter.

7. #7 Re: Chassis Paint 
    I used the POR 15 system in 2017 to treat the front end of the chassis of my car. As reported elsewhere, it is very unpleasant to use as it doesn't come off bear skin and the preparation is also quite long winded. The best thing is to buy several small tins, with the aim of using the whole of one small tin per painting session....you cannot re-open a closed half used tin...it isn't possible. Wear nitrile gloves or similar....and don't skip the metal prep...cleaning and much spraying with POR15's special metal-prep fluid. Having said all that, I'm pleased with the results two years on....but when I tackle the rear half of my chassis later in the year I shall be using Rustoleum, as greyV8pete recommends.

8. #8 Re: Chassis Paint 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member B_Williams's Avatar
    You could do worse than to check out Buzzweld products. They are much favoured by many of the Landrover fraternity.

Craig also has a Facebook page for those interested

9. #9 Re: Chassis Paint 
    Hi Bill give me a call on the Cortina front sub frame please I am moving garage at the present. Danny

10. #10 Re: Chassis Paint 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member B_Williams's Avatar
    PM sent Danny