Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chassis Paint

Hi,
    The chassis on my Cabrio is in need of some cleaning up and repainting.
    Has anyone found a really good, long lasting, rust preventing paint system?
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Mike

Re: Chassis Paint

POR15
    But its hard to work with - special thinners and once can opened it cant be re-sealed as paint on lip sets like metal

Comment

+1 used it on the chassis / frame of an ancient Fire Brigade trailer, it outlasted the trailer, ++20 years!!

Comment

I and others have had some success with Aldi "Deco" metal care paint. But the supply is unreliable.
        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by mike woodley View Post
          Hi,
          The chassis on my Cabrio is in need of some cleaning up and repainting.
          Has anyone found a really good, long lasting, rust preventing paint system?
          Thanks in anticipation.
          Mike
          Hi Mike.
          I have used the following with good results. It has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

Rustoleum Combi Colour Original, black satin gloss. It is an exact match for the infamous powder coating.

It is in tins and brushes straight on to rust. Obviously degrease and wire brush first. Don’t get the aerosols its not the same! The combi colour brushing version smells, works and lasts like the old Finnegans smoothrite before the green zealots ruined it.

I bought mine from Brewers, Alphington Retail Park, EX2 8NH. They are next door to Dreams bed store by Sainsburys super store.

BTW it was me that waved to you in Russell Way, as you were driving into Tescos a few days ago. Pop in for a cuppa next time! Peter.

Comment

Totally agree. Rustoleum is absolutely brill doesn't chip like Finnegans as paint is flexible.

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
            Hi Mike.
            I have used the following with good results. It has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

Rustoleum Combi Colour Original, black satin gloss. It is an exact match for the infamous powder coating.

It is in tins and brushes straight on to rust. Obviously degrease and wire brush first. Don’t get the aerosols its not the same! The combi colour brushing version smells, works and lasts like the old Finnegans smoothrite before the green zealots ruined it.

I bought mine from Brewers, Alphington Retail Park, EX2 8NH. They are next door to Dreams bed store by Sainsburys super store.

BTW it was me that waved to you in Russell Way, as you were driving into Tescos a few days ago. Pop in for a cuppa next time! Peter.

Comment

I used the POR 15 system in 2017 to treat the front end of the chassis of my car. As reported elsewhere, it is very unpleasant to use as it doesn't come off bear skin and the preparation is also quite long winded. The best thing is to buy several small tins, with the aim of using the whole of one small tin per painting session....you cannot re-open a closed half used tin...it isn't possible. Wear nitrile gloves or similar....and don't skip the metal prep...cleaning and much spraying with POR15's special metal-prep fluid. Having said all that, I'm pleased with the results two years on....but when I tackle the rear half of my chassis later in the year I shall be using Rustoleum, as greyV8pete recommends.

Comment

You could do worse than to check out Buzzweld products. They are much favoured by many of the Landrover fraternity.

Craig also has a Facebook page for those interested
                Best Wishes
                Bill Williams
                Berlinetta

[/COLOR]Click here for The nearest thing I have to a home page

Comment

Hi Bill give me a call on the Cortina front sub frame please I am moving garage at the present. Danny

Comment

PM sent Danny
                    Best Wishes
                    Bill Williams
                    Berlinetta

[/COLOR]Click here for The nearest thing I have to a home page

Comment

Thank You for all the advice.
                      I am being lazy and just cleaning off the rusted areas, so need something that's OK going over the good paint and cleaned off rusty areas. The paint was two pack but spots of rust are showing. I think at some point i need to strip the car down and give it a proper sand blast and prep, plus coating, BUT thats the future.

P.S. for PETER
                      Would like to take up your offer of a cuppa, once i have a Marlin on the road again! Will PM you with my mobile number. Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mike woodley View Post
                        Thank You for all the advice.
                        I am being lazy and just cleaning off the rusted areas, so need something that's OK going over the good paint and cleaned off rusty areas. The paint was two pack but spots of rust are showing. I think at some point i need to strip the car down and give it a proper sand blast and prep, plus coating, BUT thats the future.

P.S. for PETER
                        Would like to take up your offer of a cuppa, once i have a Marlin on the road again! Will PM you with my mobile number. Regards Mike
                        Thanks Mike. Have PMd you my mobile too.

I have put Rustoleum over powder coat and it seems to stick well to almost any previous paint too. Peter.

Comment

Working...
                        X