Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Cabrio Rear Spring change

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1 Cabrio Rear Spring change 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member bryannewell's Avatar
    Hi All
    Is it possible to change the rear coil springs on a cabrio(sierra base) with rear swing arms in place?
    Obviously I would need a Spring compressor
    I have removed rear Dampers to allow some slack, Is it then just a case of compressing and removing?
    Regards
    Bryan
    Stapley Bryan

2. #2 Re: Cabrio Rear Spring change 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    I did my rear coil springs with the rear swing arms in place with spring compressors a bit fiddly but no great problem, access was easy as I did have the rear tub off when I replaced them.
    I still have the spring compressors I used, you could borrow them although distance apart would be a problem.
    I think I paid about £10 for them off Ebay

3. #3 Re: Cabrio Rear Spring change 
    Hi Dave
    Thanks for the reply and the offer but as you say distance a problem!
    I'll buy spring compressors and give it a go if I have to I think I can disconnect the Drive shafts to give some more movement
    Out of interest did you stay with Standard Spring Rates?
    Stapley Bryan

4. #4 Re: Cabrio Rear Spring change 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    Hi Bryan. If you buy spring compressors make sure they are’nt too long as there isn’t much clearance above and below the springs. I tried my old ones for Sierra front struts but they were too long to fit.

That said, when I repainted my rear suspension I removed the springs without compressing them by putting the rear chassis on axle stands, disconnecting the lower shock absorber bolts and letting the swing arms down on a trolley jack. I think it was when I replaced the rear lobro drive shafts, as you mustn’t bend those joints too far from their normal operating range. Peter.

5. #5 Re: Cabrio Rear Spring change 
    Hi Peter
    Thanks for the headsup, I've ordered a pair which I think will do the job
    I tried earlier just undoing the shocker bottom bolt but there is not enough movement with Driveshafts attached so i'm hoping I can compress springs and remove with Driveshafts in place
    I'm just hoping I didn't do any mischief to the Joint on my first attempt (should have read the Haynes first!!)
    Regards
    Bryan
    Stapley Bryan

6. #6 Re: Cabrio Rear Spring change 
    Hi Bryan
    I bought the standard rate springs brand new, I did measure mine and the seller checked that his were the same I recall being more concerned about getting the same size.
    I did not need to disconnect the dive shafts, I did turn the spring top adjusters up to their full extent.
    Think you may bash your knuckles a few times apart from that all should be OK
    Dave

7. #7 Re: Cabrio Rear Spring change 
    Hi David
    I decided to remove drive shafts rather than wait for spring compressor and I could not shift the top adjusters!
    I rang my local parts dealer and as I have no info on donor whatsoever he came up with three different lengths/diameters so have measured mine and nearest is 299mm x 131mm so will go with that
    Out of interest did you renew the rubber Bump stops? Mine are turning to powder and is part of the reason I am taking things apart, But as I've been thinking about it I can't imagine them ever coming into play being as how are cars are so much lighter than a standard car
    Regards
    Bryan
    Stapley Bryan

8. #8 Re: Cabrio Rear Spring change 
    Hi Bryan
    Just checked my bump stops they look very good, I must have renewed them although I do no actually recall sourcing them.
    My adjusters were also difficult to shift, I did use heat to loosen them
    Dave

9. #9 Re: Cabrio Rear Spring change 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bryannewell View Post
    Hi David
    I decided to remove drive shafts rather than wait for spring compressor and I could not shift the top adjusters!
    I rang my local parts dealer and as I have no info on donor whatsoever he came up with three different lengths/diameters so have measured mine and nearest is 299mm x 131mm so will go with that
    Out of interest did you renew the rubber Bump stops? Mine are turning to powder and is part of the reason I am taking things apart, But as I've been thinking about it I can't imagine them ever coming into play being as how are cars are so much lighter than a standard car
    Regards
    Bryan
    There are some o/e ones for sale on Amazon albeit at a price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-For.../dp/B06XY74NJB

On my Hunter they look more like a squashed ball (with a recess that pops over the locating spigot) rather than a cylindrical shape like the Ford ones.

I think my exhausts hit the ground long before the bump stops come into play! You can probably fit them later with the suspension just jacked up, so not a job stopper. Peter.

10. #10 Re: Cabrio Rear Spring change 
    My bump stops are the same as yours, same with exhaust which I found to be so whilst doing a recent navigational night rally.