Sierra Berli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sierra Berli

Hi alll - I am trying to resolve the rear wheel negative camber prob on my Sierra Berli. Have had a look at the previous suggestions on the Forum re Lee's suggestion of camber shims and intend to get 2 machined but will these make enough of a difference ? Does anyone know if the coil springs off a Sierra estate are longer or just thicker coil diameter as I feel that a longer spring coil would sort it out . Thanks Paul W

Re: Sierra Berli

When I built my Sierra Berly in the early 90's I had this problem. I bought a pair of standard rate springs but 2 ins longer from a rally spares place, which raised the car up and cured the negative camber. The problem was that the car sat too high.

Now that I have come to rebuild the car I decided that shims were the way to go. However, the hub has a boss that locates in the swing arm, and if shims were used the danger is that the hub may no longer locate properly and will just rely on the four M8 bolts, not ideal.

So I decided to machine a small wedge off of the swing arm and fine tune it with very thin shims, so that the hub is still properly located in the swing arm. I have yet to have the car four wheel aligned, but using string and bubble camber gauges it seems close with no shims.
    Last edited by scott h; 06-06-19, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scott h View Post
      When I built my Sierra Berly in the early 90's I had this problem. I bought a pair of standard rate springs but 2 ins longer from a rally spares place, which raised the car up and cured the negative camber. The problem was that the car sat too high.

Now that I have come to rebuild the car I decided that shims were the way to go. However, the hub has a boss that locates in the swing arm, and if shims were used the danger is that the hub may no longer locate properly and will just rely on the four M8 bolts, not ideal.

So I decided to machine a small wedge off of the swing arm and fine tune it with very thin shims, so that the hub is still properly located in the swing arm. I have yet to have the car four wheel aligned, but using string and bubble camber gauges it seems close with no shims.
      Hi Scott, Thanks for reply - will let you know outcome when I have a chance to fit the Shims ( yet to be made ) and do an investigation !!

Comment

If I need shims I will start by using washers between the hub and the swing arm until I have the desired measurement. Then make shims the same thickness as the washers.

Comment

Working...
        X