Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Cabrio rear bearing noise?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1 Cabrio rear bearing noise? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Hi,
    I have just replaced the offside rear wheel bearings on my Sierra based Cabrio as i thought they had worn and were causing a noise. I was getting a noise from around 40mph. It was not a whine but more a wha, wha, wha, wha sound which increased in speed, with the speed of the car. Sadly have just got in from a test run and the noise is still there. Unless i have done the wrong side, i am at a loss as to what it could be. Has anyone else experienced this sort of noise from the rear of their Cabrio?
    Any ideas or advice as to what could be causing the noise would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards Mike.

2. #2 Re: Cabrio rear bearing noise? 
    I had a similar problem with my Mondeo which turned out to be the tyres. Although the tyres were less than two years old with plenty of tread they were misshapen. Swap front and rear wheels and see if the noise moves to the front.

3. #3 Re: Cabrio rear bearing noise? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Alan c's Avatar
    Consider prop shaft - check UJs

4. #4 Re: Cabrio rear bearing noise? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member chris_cussen's Avatar
    I used to get wha wha wha noise when being chased by Mr.Plod
    Cabrio, Omex 2.0l 150bhp Zetec blacktop, Omex ECU and wiring loom.

5. #5 Re: Cabrio rear bearing noise? 
    Quote Originally Posted by scott h View Post
    I had a similar problem with my Mondeo which turned out to be the tyres. Although the tyres were less than two years old with plenty of tread they were misshapen. Swap front and rear wheels and see if the noise moves to the front.
    Agreed, always a good first step is to check whether your tyres have gone out of shape. This happens more than you would think.
    2000 Marlin Cabrio; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

6. #6 Re: Cabrio rear bearing noise? 
    Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for all the advice. Have tried swapping tyres around, checking UJ's drive shafts and all to no avail, the noise was still there. Put the car up on blocks and ran it in gear and found horrible noises from the diff useing a VERY long screwdriver to listen, hubs OK. So now to find a 3.62 final drive push in shaft type diff. My Cabrio has the thicker 27mm drive shafts, will any 7in push in type diff be suitable?
    Thanks once again for the advice.
    Mike

7. #7 Re: Cabrio rear bearing noise? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike woodley View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for all the advice. Have tried swapping tyres around, checking UJ's drive shafts and all to no avail, the noise was still there. Put the car up on blocks and ran it in gear and found horrible noises from the diff useing a VERY long screwdriver to listen, hubs OK. So now to find a 3.62 final drive push in shaft type diff. My Cabrio has the thicker 27mm drive shafts, will any 7in push in type diff be suitable?
    Thanks once again for the advice.
    Mike
    Hi Mike. It sounds like a diff carrier bearing has failed. First I would get the diff out and take the rear cover off and have a look what is going on inside. Although setting up a diff from scratch is not for the faint hearted, in your case it should be possible to replace just the diff carrier bearings, as you only then need to check and reset the backlash between the crown wheel and pinion.

Give me a call when you have it stripped down and I can pop up and have a look at it for you, or you can bring the bits to me.

If you do have to get a replacement then with a V8 consider a lower ratio if you can find one! I fitted a 3.38:1 in mine and it gives much better cruising and with the V8 any loss of acceleration is hardly noticeable.

As far as I know the flange type diffs have the same configuration and diameter at their inner ends as the push in type. You need get the rear cover off to remove the inner circlip from each one so they can be pulled out. Obviously you need to check dimensions carefully.

I bought my diff from John at KitFit. His are second hand but he always checks them over for wear etc and replaces the seals before shipping them. I have always found him very helpful.

Give me a call if you want to chat about it. Peter.

8. #8 Re: Cabrio rear bearing noise? 
    Just had a quick look on ebay. This is a link to one of several at the moment.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F264355738029

9. #9 Re: Cabrio rear bearing noise? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott h View Post
    Just had a quick look on ebay. This is a link to one of several at the moment.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F264355738029
    Thats a pretty clean set of teeth and would make a quick swap. Not too far away Mike for you to collect! :-)

10. #10 Re: Cabrio rear bearing noise? 
    Hi,
    Thanks again for all the advice. Now looking to buy another push in type diff. Seems to be quite a few to choose from out there.
    Are the push in type diffs the same, apart from ratios, in the full range of Sierra's, i.e.1.6, 1.8 & 2.0 ltr? That is the build, casing, bearings, crown wheel and pinion etc.
    If they are, then my thinking is to go for a diff from a lower power 1.6 or 1.8 as they will have had less stress put on them and should have a lot more life in them.
    Its going into my 200HP V8 Cabrio.
    Am i right in my thinking or not?