New thread on Marina to Ford Type 9 gearboxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New thread on Marina to Ford Type 9 gearboxes

As the previous thread has been closed I thought I'd start another thread for anyone who is interested in this topic. I had contacted the original thread owner if drawings of his conversion, as I'm interested and would have explored having my own parts made, but quite reasonably he has told me he is no longer interested in the subject, hence his closure of the original thread.

Unfortunately I didn't own my Roadster back when the 5SpeedMarina project was live, and I baulk a bit at the Frontline prices, so if someone has any other ideas, this thread will give a place to air them.
    Original builder of SWB Cabrio chassis no. 04-33 reg. no. CRN540Y - had a 2.8L Cologne V6 when I sold it in 2011
    Briefly owned Marlin Berlinetta Q670XBB for about 4 months in 2012
    Did own SWB Marian 1800TC Roadster Q741LPP - modified for trials by Fourtune Engineering
    Now own Marlin Sportster with 3.5L BMW straight six powerplant P764DOD - proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Re: New thread on Marina to Ford Type 9 gearboxes

There is a an Internet company called The Wayback Machine that takes archive snapshots of the internet and is quite useful for finding old web pages.
    Often the information is limited as for obvious reasons they can't archive every web page, every day.
    I did however find this....
    How to install a ford type 9 gearbox into a Marina Ital or Marina based kit car

some of the links work but not all.
    I thought it might have some useful information?
    Last edited by Peterx; 15-06-19, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Thank you, I had tried the Wayback Machine but I'm conscious I that it wouldn't be fair to infringe on anything the original poster may consider to be his intellectual property without his permission. Which probably makes this thread a bit tricky but as its seems that at least a couple of MOC members are interested in this topic its worth giving it a go.
      Original builder of SWB Cabrio chassis no. 04-33 reg. no. CRN540Y - had a 2.8L Cologne V6 when I sold it in 2011
      Did own SWB Marian 1800TC Roadster Q741LPP - modified for trials by Fourtune Engineering
      Now own Marlin Sportster with 3.5L BMW straight six powerplant P764DOD - proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Comment

Originally posted by acbluemarlin View Post
        Thank you, I had tried the Wayback Machine but I'm conscious I that it wouldn't be fair to infringe on anything the original poster may consider to be his intellectual property without his permission. Which probably makes this thread a bit tricky but as its seems that at least a couple of MOC members are interested in this topic its worth giving it a go.
        I work with lots of business partners on contracts that include copyright and intellectual property issues and worked with many bodies on these issues with regard to the development of the internet (and the data on it) many years ago as a Director of the Internet Industry Association in Australia. You don't need to worry about it as the information was posted in a public space, and has been available in other forums and web sites for many years in the context of Marina conversions.

Just keep an eye out for technical items clearly marked as patented, trademark, or copyright a specific person or organisation before re-creating anything material or reproducing and information about this that could be seen as proprietary.

If you do use something obviously from elsewhere, then maybe best to credit the source.

David.
        PS - I'm not in the legal profession so 'buyer beware' re: the above!
        Last edited by David; 16-06-19, 10:56 AM.
        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by acbluemarlin View Post
          There is insufficient information in any of my threads or in this 5speedmarina archive or in Pitstop for people to copy the project without repeating the full exercise from scratch, making the relative measurements, sourcing parts etc.

The most valuable property is likely to be the CAM files used to laser cut the profile. Those will not be released by the laser cutters that I used, without my authority.

It appears that there has been some recent interest from the Morris Marina Owners Club too. They were a far larger market than Marlin, I am now in private discussion with their committee as I feel they would be better custodians of the detailed plans and possibly manufacturing in the longer term.

The project remains closed until such time as I make a decision.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Or you could buy a kit from Frontline to fit a type 9 http://www.frontlinedevelopments.com...onversion-kit/

Or you could fit an MX5 gearbox https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/five-s...n-for-mgb.html

Or you could take the easy route and ditch the cast iron anchor that is the 1.8 B series and fit the MX5 engine as well, why make life difficult?
            Formally DonSayers on here.

Comment

Originally posted by boustrophedon View Post
              Or you could buy a kit from Frontline to fit a type 9 http://www.frontlinedevelopments.com...onversion-kit/

Or you could fit an MX5 gearbox https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/five-s...n-for-mgb.html

Or you could take the easy route and ditch the cast iron anchor that is the 1.8 B series and fit the MX5 engine as well, why make life difficult?
              Or, you could go fully Ford with a Zetec Inside.

So far, negative comments suggest that I was right to close my original thread. Was that what was intended?
              MOC member since 05/97
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

As the poster of this thread I haven't intended to make any negative comments about anything and if any comments I have made have given offence I apologise unreservedly.

For the record, I'm enjoying driving the Marlin with the 1800 B-series engine and think it perfectly matches the spirit of the car. I don't think a zetec or a Mazda MX5 unit would to the same extent , and I'm not looking for that level of complexity in a Marlin Roadster. But if you've ever driven a car with a Ford type 9 gearbox the gearchange on the standard 4 speed Marina unit is quite disappointing to say the least. Plus an overdrive 5th would be very welcome. So any route to achieving a swap is quite appealing. But I'm not sure I want to spend upwards of £925 for the Frontline conversion. Plus I've owned a couple of MX5's as well over the years and I reckon the Ford type 9 is the sweeter change.

As someone who used to be a hands on engineer before I started to spend all my time at work behind a desk I'v got a lot of respect for the effort that went into figuring out the original 5speedmarina conversion and making it work, its just a shame I wasn't a Roadster owner when it was commercially available.

So once again, nothing I've posted on this thread is intended to be negative about the original conversion, or the decision to close the original thread.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                  Or, you could go fully Ford with a Zetec Inside.

So far, negative comments suggest that I was right to close my original thread. Was that what was intended?
                  Nope, well not on my part anyway, just pointing out that what was a good idea back then is now probably out of date. So perhaps you were right.
                  Formally DonSayers on here.

Comment

For gods sake don't apologise, there are members out there who will be helpful and understanding.

There will come a time when your help will be gratefully accepted.

Don't give up on the forum, we are all here for the same thing, the enjoyment of owning and running a Marlin.

We may have diverse opinions but it is up to us to decide which way we go.

Good luck with your quest and look forward to seeing you at a meet or two.

Adrian
                    Last edited by listerjp2; 16-06-19, 09:45 PM.

Comment

I cant help thinking that Steve is somewhat upset with marlin owners or the club or both.
                      I only wished I was in a position to offer assistance or advice to someone.

Comment

Originally posted by stevepritch View Post
                        I cant help thinking that Steve is somewhat upset with marlin owners or the club or both.
                        I only wished I was in a position to offer assistance or advice to someone.
                        I rather think it’s the other way around.

I have accumulated a great deal of data, specifically related to Marina Based Roadsters, that I willingly share with interested parties on Keepandshare, and other platforms, frequently to the chagrin of the MOC who claim copyright infringement of some documents.

Currently averaging at around 2000 documents downloaded each month. I think I contribute via a Keepandshare more to the Marlin Marina based Roadster Owners/Morris Marina Owners, than many other individuals, apart from a few on the Fastmarina forum.

Everybody has the possibility to share their knowledge, Pritch particularly you contribute with events and meetings, don’t denigrate yourself, I have not been to Pod for more years than I care to remember.

Marlin Owners Club Members have a choice, my thoughts today are, as I have already clearly indicated, is to transfer ownership of the 5speedmarina project and its intellectual property, to the Morris Marina Owners Club for posterity and the benefit of their members, not forgetting the many Marina based Kit Cars Owners should they wish to partake.

Historically however the Marlin Owners Club have eschewed the Morris Marina Owners Club, though a few members like myself frequently collaborate.

Upset. No. It’s individuals right to choose. My archive is open, even to you!
                        Last edited by stevejgreen; 18-06-19, 09:56 AM.
                        MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Paul, I really get very tired of your criticism of what you understand to be my activities on Keepandshare. I suggest that before you criticise again, that you have a look yourself and then make specific allegations based on factual knowledge and not hearsay and conjecture.

Clearly from the current download rate, I provide a much appreciated service to those who are interested. I am confident that there are several cars that are still roadworthy as a consequence, surely that is of benefit to the community as a whole?

The vast majority of the content is I believe covered under the Fair Dealing clause in copyright law where the information is intended for the purposes of personal research and private study. I have no intent on personal, financial gain.

It is interesting to note that irregularly copies of Pitstop appear on certain auction websites, so they are very much in the public domain and well beyond the control of the MOC, it’s not as if the club actively buys surplus copies to keep them out of circulation. What actual harm does it do to the MOC when they are publicly available?

Marlin and even Marina ownership is a niche hobby, I struggle to understand why there is such a proprietorial attitude to even the most basic information, especially of a 40 year old design, when the original designer appears to have moved on to other projects.

But back to the 5speedmarina project. It may get resurrected as I have previously said, the interest seems to centre on the Marina Owners Club committee, not the MOC.

Nothing is final or decided yet, you will have to wait.

Meanwhile, there are other avenues that people can explore 5speedmarina, is only one, and there is nothing to stop people from attempting to replicate it or any other design. The benefits of overdrive and a more ergonomically position gearshift are very apparent, especially when combined with a Sprint rear axle.
                          MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Originally posted by milliemarlin
                            Ooops, no criticism intended, simply an observation.
                            Paul
                            You personally, have never, by your own admission, observed my archive content at Keepandshare.
                            Please do so, you might be pleasantly surprised.
                            First hand information is so much more accurate, you will then be better equipped to comment on copyright infringement issues that you claim.
                            Go on, give it a try!

It’s a massive shame, that the content of this thread is now so far off topic that it’s title is wasted.
                            So pleased that this is not attached to my original Type 9 conversion thread, because I would have deleted it by now in disgust. At least the original thread still has its integrity.

Acbluemarlin must be sorry that he opened a can of worms.

5speedmarina may get resurrected, nothing is decided yet, just for fun I might publish any updates on Keepandshare or Fastmarina, because it seems that my efforts here are wasted.
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

One of the fun facts about vbulletin forums is that even is a post is deleted, it’s content, when quoted in a later post, still remains for all to see.

It makes me wonder, just what about his own post, made milliemarlin decide to delete his contributions to the discussion.

I am sorry acbluemarlin. This thread is clearly out of control.

You acbluemarlin have the choice, as I did, to close or delete this thread that you started.
                              I suggest the latter, it’s so far off topic and serves no benefit for the MOC, in a publicly accessible forum.

I have lost patience, I suggest that if you are interested in the 5speedmarina conversion, that you follow Keepandshare or the Fastmarina forum.

I am done with this thread.
                              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                              X