Marina B series camshaft swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina B series camshaft swap

I've tried the forum search function and can't find an answer so I'll try a post.

Apparently it was possible on the original Marina to swap the camshaft without taking the engine out of the car. It could be eased out through the lower grille opening.

Has anyone swapped camshafts in a B series Roadster without removing the engine and is it possible without taking the radiator out?

I have a Peter Burgess fast road head on the way and I'd like to couple it with a swap to a Piper 270 cam, but I no longer have an engine hoist, hence the question.

Thanks
    Original builder of SWB Cabrio chassis no. 04-33 reg. no. CRN540Y - had a 2.8L Cologne V6 when I sold it in 2011
    Briefly owned Marlin Berlinetta Q670XBB for about 4 months in 2012
    Did own SWB Marian 1800TC Roadster Q741LPP - modified for trials by Fourtune Engineering
    Now own Marlin Sportster with 3.5L BMW straight six powerplant P764DOD - proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Re: Marina B series camshaft swap

I have not worked on the B series but on the A series the lifters sit on top of the camshaft so the engine has to be on its side or upside down to fit the camshaft, don’t know if the B series is the same.
    I fitted my engine and gearbox by sitting it on a trolley then lifting the car up and over on it then jacking the trolley up to sit the engine on the mounts.

Comment

Once the head is off you can lift the cam followers out of the way with magnets attached to lengths of dowel. Insert the dowel/magnet combination down the pushrod holes in the block, pick up the follower, lift and clamp the dowel rod with clothes peg or whatever.
      I would have thought that it would be a lot easier to remove cowling and radiator to access the cam.

Comment

The problem area is not just the cowl, it’s the steering rack being mounted ahead of the engine.

I looked at the job, doing it in situ and came to the conclusion that engine out was the way to go.

One additional job I added to the list was to swap the standard single row timing chain for a duplex one from an MGB kit. This came with an adjustable timing gear which helped get the actual cam timing spot on.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

But the guy doesn't have access to a lift. So ok he may have to remove steering rack ----it's still easier!

Comment

From the original Marina repairs operations manual, circ 1976P6160715.JPG
            Formally DonSayers on here.

Comment

Originally posted by A_Hogg View Post
              But the guy doesn't have access to a lift. So ok he may have to remove steering rack ----it's still easier!
              Engine lifts can be hired.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

If you are just changing the camshaft then I would use the magnet and dowel system - take the radiator out, remove the rack and front moulding and you will have buckets of room

Once you have the front open then use the camshaft to lift the cam followers - just use the magnet and dowel to hold them in place

Comment

I think we can be fairly confident that the prospect of hiring an engine hoist had been considered . Why else would the original post have been placed?
                  Last edited by A_Hogg; 17-06-19, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X