Pinto DGAV throttle cable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinto DGAV throttle cable.

YKC roadster, 2.0 Pinto with DGAV carb: I have just replaced the throttle cable as it was fraying and breaking at the carb end. On removing it I found the inner cable very frayed and broken inside the sleeve at the sharp bend where it has to bend back by the carb to clear the bonnet side panel. It really is a very sharp bend.

Has anyone fitted a different throttle linkage to cure this, or even is it possible to turn the carb 180 so the cable runs directly over the top of the engine with only a 90 degree bend instead of the 270 one it does now?
    Attached Files
    Formally DonSayers on here.

Re: Pinto DGAV throttle cable.

HCD do a throttle linkage that might be suitable. Not cheap mind.

s-l1600.jpg

The cable routes over the rocker cover and down to the cam on the linkage giving a smoother run.

They have an eBay shop but they're out of stock at the moment https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-2L-P...QAAOSw0UdXvYhX You could message them if it's of interest.

Comment

Thanks, I can't however picture how that Ball joint on the end of the cable attaches to that half circular pulley? Have you used one?

Comment

That bracket between the carb cam and cable end, shorten it and your troubles are over.

Comment

Kit Spares [think they are part of GBS] have a cable with a 90 degree formed outer sheath at one end to clear bonnet. Might be of use.

Comment

Found this: https://www.tmrsupplies.co.uk/produc...ttle-linkages/

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by boustrophedon View Post
              Thanks, I can't however picture how that Ball joint on the end of the cable attaches to that half circular pulley? Have you used one?
              I haven't got one yet; other bits to fix have priority

The ball joint fixes on to the pedal. The other end of the cable is shown in the image below.

s-l1600.jpg

Comment

Thanks Jon, maybe I should have been clearer. That picture of the cable end is not the same as the one you showed in the picture of the HCD linkage. That is a normal Ford barrel end. I understand those having got one.

The picture of the HCD linkage you showed clearly shows a pulley with a hole for a barrel end fitting, however their cable has a threaded rose jointed end which bears no relationship to the pulley. That is what I am questioning. HCDs website sheds no light either, that is why I was wondering if you had actually fitted one.

Comment

No, I think it's me that wasn't clear. The cable end shown in their eBay listing with the threaded ball and socket attaches to the pedal. At the other end is a barrel to slot into the pulley.

Managed to find a better image:
                  30604386_1013784945438882_7977112487654850560_n.jpg

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

The idea of changing the orientation of the carb - I did that with my Lancia powered mini a couple of decades ago

I put a twin cam Lancia engine in the front of my mini - but the engine was knackered so I put a Fiat Twin cam lump in there -
                      bad idea when cornering it suffered from fuel starvation -
                      the Carb was oriented so that in the Fiat when you braked it would starve - NOT a problem as you don't need fuel when stopping

I expect the Pinto carb would be the same - if you change it 90 degrees it will starve on corners - 180 degrees it will starve on acceleration

Comment

I have bought a linkage (pictured above) that routes the cable over the engine, so the carb will remain where it is.

Comment

Working...
                        X