Sportster ground clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster ground clearance

Having recently acquired a 2003 build, rover V8 powered, Sportster I wondered if anyone else had modified the ride height. My Sportster is setup for track ‘fun” days but I will be using it on public roads as well. Given the ever increasing number of speed humps I’m looking to increase thr ground clearance by around 25mm. I propose to adjust the coilover springs, resetting the camber and toe-in as necessary.
    I have already fabricated and fitted a sump guard as an additional precaution.
    If anyone has any tips or advice it would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Derek

Re: Sportster ground clearance

Hi Derek. Raising the rear is fairly straight forward by adjusting the spring seats.Raising the the front is similar, however it depends on what the lowest point of the car is. When I had a V8 in my car, the problem was the sump which was at the rear of the engine, in the centre of the vehicle. I fabricated a new wider and lower sump and pick-up which gained the best part of an inch. Altering the ride height with the spring seats alone might compromise steering geometry, rear camber ect, depends on your set-up at present. David

Comment

Might help to also post this in the sportster section.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks David,
        It is the sump and being in the middle of the car makes it more of a problem. I have a spare sump which came with the car, it is slightly damaged already. This would be an ideal opportunity to modify it. Is there any information on the modification you carried out on your sump or did you make it up as you went along?
        I can adjust camber and toe-in to the original settings following raising the front by 25mm, I will then see if the handling has been affected significantly.
        Cheers
        Derek

Comment

Hi Derek. As you are inclined to do, I modified an old sump by cutting the bottom off and welding an approx 9 x 9 x 2ins box in it's place, thus maintaining the capacity but reducing the depth. The oil pick-up needs reducing appropriately, but it's fairly simple to do.If the top of the "box" has a clearance hole for the pick-up that will act as a baffle to prevent any chance of oil starvation when cornering.David

Comment

Good evening David
            Thanks for the information, I may well have a go at modifying my sump during the long winter months when I’m not using the Sportster.
            Would there be an opportunity to take the sump any higher, say around 50mm. I expect the bell housing would be the next problem, maybe there’s scope to modify this as well, depending upon the clearance of the flywheel. Probably a mad idea but I not known for following normal conventions😏
            Thanks
            Derek

Comment

Hi Derek. Depending on the carb/injection system on your car, most V8's sit fairly low. You may gain a few mm by raising the engine mountings and yes, from memory the bell housing is roughly level with the bottom of the sump.David

Comment

Thanks David, following your original suggestion I have found there are lots of sump mods for the V8 on various forums. I have plenty of ‘food for thought’ now.
                i had considered raising the engine but the dash pots on the SU’s are very close to the underside of the bonnet.
                Thanks again.
                Derek

Comment

Originally posted by mrderek View Post
                  Thanks David, following your original suggestion I have found there are lots of sump mods for the V8 on various forums. I have plenty of ‘food for thought’ now.
                  i had considered raising the engine but the dash pots on the SU’s are very close to the underside of the bonnet.
                  Thanks again.
                  Derek
                  Fit bigger tyres and or wheels.

What's wrong with cutting a hole in the bonnet. When you have finally finished make a "speed bump" (a teardrop shaped fibreglass bump that you then bolt back on the bonnet. Run some resin around the edges and smooth it with a wet finger. How to build one and instal it is in an old Pitstop.

Comment

Working...
                  X