Marlin Cabrio - hood seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin Cabrio - hood seal

Does anyone have experience of fixing leaking soft tops? The hood on my Marlin Cabrio has a defective seal where it closes onto the windscreen - the current seal is made up of a double layer of rubber piping and I have been told by the resident soft top expert at the Morris Minor centre in Bristol that there should be a better type of seal available to use. He is willing to make the repair but has left it to me to find the correct seal. I have written to Terry at Marlin, but she is on holiday until 22/07 so I thought that maybe someone else can recommend the correct product to use?

Re: Marlin Cabrio - hood seal

Dunno-but if you find out please share!

Comment

I think the original idea was closed cell foam strip of maybe 3mm x 20mm bonded to the forward edge of hood, full width. Other members have used 'D' section rubber again full width and either side of the securing pegs. They can be obtained in various sizes from Woolies or Seals Direct

Comment

Originally posted by A_Hogg View Post
        I think the original idea was closed cell foam strip of maybe 3mm x 20mm bonded to the forward edge of hood, full width. Other members have used 'D' section rubber again full width and either side of the securing pegs. They can be obtained in various sizes from Woolies or Seals Direct
        When mine needed replacing I used this:

As mentioned above this is bonded to the forward edge of the hood. I ran two pieces side by side to give a good width and its a nice snug fit. Not had any issues with water ingress.
        2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Many thanks for the useful suggestions - I should have remembered good old Woolies from the time I restored an MGB GT back in the early eighties. I'm torn between using the flat strip or the D shaped product, but the flat strip worked well for one member so I may just go with this one. Thanks again to you all.

Comment

This is our hood, front frame:-

Two flat strips, with an extra one on top (underneath)? You can probably work out the dimensions.

It seals very well in Exmoor rain!
            Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Comment

Working...
            X