Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Marlin Cabrio - hood seal

1. #1 Marlin Cabrio - hood seal 
    regular forum contributor Club Member
    Does anyone have experience of fixing leaking soft tops? The hood on my Marlin Cabrio has a defective seal where it closes onto the windscreen - the current seal is made up of a double layer of rubber piping and I have been told by the resident soft top expert at the Morris Minor centre in Bristol that there should be a better type of seal available to use. He is willing to make the repair but has left it to me to find the correct seal. I have written to Terry at Marlin, but she is on holiday until 22/07 so I thought that maybe someone else can recommend the correct product to use?

2. #2 Re: Marlin Cabrio - hood seal 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member chris_cussen's Avatar
    Dunno-but if you find out please share!
    Cabrio, Omex 2.0l 150bhp Zetec blacktop, Omex ECU and wiring loom.

3. #3 Re: Marlin Cabrio - hood seal 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    I think the original idea was closed cell foam strip of maybe 3mm x 20mm bonded to the forward edge of hood, full width. Other members have used 'D' section rubber again full width and either side of the securing pegs. They can be obtained in various sizes from Woolies or Seals Direct

4. #4 Re: Marlin Cabrio - hood seal 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Hogg View Post
    I think the original idea was closed cell foam strip of maybe 3mm x 20mm bonded to the forward edge of hood, full width. Other members have used 'D' section rubber again full width and either side of the securing pegs. They can be obtained in various sizes from Woolies or Seals Direct
    When mine needed replacing I used this:

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...trip-per-metre

As mentioned above this is bonded to the forward edge of the hood. I ran two pieces side by side to give a good width and its a nice snug fit. Not had any issues with water ingress.
    2000 Marlin Cabrio; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

5. #5 Re: Marlin Cabrio - hood seal 
    regular forum contributor Club Member
    Many thanks for the useful suggestions - I should have remembered good old Woolies from the time I restored an MGB GT back in the early eighties. I'm torn between using the flat strip or the D shaped product, but the flat strip worked well for one member so I may just go with this one. Thanks again to you all.

6. #6 Re: Marlin Cabrio - hood seal 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member kahawi's Avatar
    This is our hood, front frame:-

Two flat strips, with an extra one on top (underneath)? You can probably work out the dimensions.

It seals very well in Exmoor rain!
    (2nd Owner of Marlin Hunter, chassis No. 157 (May 1998). Ford-based with 2.3ltr DOHC engine).

Marlin Hunter R500 ULA