• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marlin Roadster Registration Advice

The
    Originally posted by sparker1994 View Post
    Good evening all!

Sorry for the late reply! Thank you for yours!

Thank you for the info on the VIN plates, but unfortunately I do not have the Vehicle Identification Number itself as the previous owner welded a bracket where it is supposed to be...

John Cole77
    Thank you for the image, that is definitely somewhere I will check on Saturday!

On the bright side I have received today a new VIN from the DVLA!! WHOOP!

So now it has an identity I am happier to spend some money and time to begone making this meet the IVA requirements!

Question: has anyone made a Marlin IVA compatible before?
    As I'm wondering if I make a guide from my experience as I go would it be useful?
    To my knowledge a Marlin Roadster has never passed IVA.

i am intrigued, if you got a new VIN from the DVLA, surely they must know the cars registration number, as the two are inextricably tied together, so no need to bother with IVA!

There are a myriad of details that will need to be addressed for an IVA. Many regarding chassis and bodywork neither of which were designed to be future proof. I would address them first and deal with the engine and transmission after you have a structurally sound compliant vehicle, but you might run into emissions/exhaust challenges on a 1970’s engine that certainly would not pass current legislation.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Sparker

PM sent...check the top right hand of your screen under "Notifications"

Rgds DC

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
        i am intrigued, if you got a new VIN from the DVLA, surely they must know the cars registration number, as the two are inextricably tied together, so no need to bother with IVA!...
        I have a VIN from the DVLA for my Sportster. It’s a long way from having an IVA. I guess the reg number, issued after IVA, may be tied to the VIN but not the other way round. The IVA will check the VIN is stamped as required.
        Paul

Comment

Hi All,

stevejgreen, I thought as much, going to be a lot of work but i'm sure it'll be achievable!

After reading the IVA manual, there is a section regarding the emissions. from what i understand on an amateur build and engine pre 1975 will not require an emissions test, but and engine post that date will. So being that my MGB engine is 'supposedly' (i need to confirm) 1970 then this should be suitable for an emissions free test just the smoke/visual.

Please correct me if i'm wrong

Comment

Originally posted by sparker1994 View Post
            Hi All,

stevejgreen, I thought as much, going to be a lot of work but i'm sure it'll be achievable!

After reading the IVA manual, there is a section regarding the emissions. from what i understand on an amateur build and engine pre 1975 will not require an emissions test, but and engine post that date will. So being that my MGB engine is 'supposedly' (i need to confirm) 1970 then this should be suitable for an emissions free test just the smoke/visual.

Please correct me if i'm wrong

My thoughts are purely to minimise the time, effort and money on parts of the project that are not essential for an IVA.
            For example, leave it unpainted, base coat, then paint it once it has passed.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Agreed,

I only have to pass the criteria set, it does not have to be finished. Thankfully it mentioned this in the manual.

So I will be getting is to a state of worthiness for the test then finishing it afterwards!

thank you!

Comment

I understand that the IVA test is similar to the SVA in that you most probable will not pass first time but you will receive a list of items to be re-tested. The examiners will have a great experience of how other constructors have overcome similar problems. In my case (SVA) they not only explained why the car had failed but also suggested some modifications that they have found acceptable in the past.

The re-test will only test the previous points of failure.
                Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,

Good to know!
                  Should make things alot easier once I know what has and hasn't passed a test etc.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X