Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Sportster for sale

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Sportster for sale 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member David's Avatar
    Is this an older Ford based car, has 4 stud hubs and looks like it may have been a V6 at some point. Also wondering if it's the car in the Sporster brochure!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marlin-Sp...r/254299580073

Either way it's not listed in the gallery.

Any guesses as to the reserve price, and real world value?

David.
    Attached Images
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

2. #2 Re: Sportster for sale 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Obviously a fair weather car, hence the lack of windscreen wipers. Other than that a nice looking car.

If I didn't already have a Cabrio this would have definitely been on my radar.
    2000 Marlin Cabrio; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

3. #3 Re: Sportster for sale 
    Does beg the question about passing an MOT if there's a windscreen but no wipers! Unless the screen comes off for the MOT
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

4. #4 Re: Sportster for sale 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Does beg the question about passing an MOT if there's a windscreen but no wipers! Unless the screen comes off for the MOT
    That works for the current MOT, but it looks as though it once had wipers, if not washers!
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

5. #5 Re: Sportster for sale 
    I needed to MOT my LocUst but the wipers wouldn't work and I needed the car, so I took the screen and wipers off and put a 4" high screen on. MOT passed no prob.

6. #6 Re: Sportster for sale 
    Quote Originally Posted by HairyDave View Post
    I needed to MOT my LocUst but the wipers wouldn't work and I needed the car, so I took the screen and wipers off and put a 4" high screen on. MOT passed no prob.
    Handy to know!

7. #7 Re: Sportster for sale 
    Just to conclude this thread I bought this via an ad the vendor had on Gumtree. I caught a train to Aberystwyth with my 10 year old daughter carrying her booster seat and we drove it back to Lancashire on Friday. Very happy, but I’m having to sell my swb Roadster.IMG-3824.JPG
    Last edited by acbluemarlin; 28-07-2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Added image

8. #8 Re: Sportster for sale 
    Well done, looks like a good car. Is it the demo car from early on?

9. #9 Re: Sportster for sale 
    I was deeply jealous, until I walked back from the pub this evening in the pouring rain. Lovely car, enjoy.

10. #10 Re: Sportster for sale 
    I’m not sure it was a demo, I don’t think it’s the car in the brochure snip. But it was built by Marlin as their the first registered owners. The second owner was a Lord! Will try and add more detail as I find it out, and I’ll update the archivist accordingly.
    Original builder of SWB Cabrio chassis no. 04-33 reg. no. CRN540Y - had a 2.8L Cologne V6 when I sold it in 2011
    Briefly owned Marlin Berlinetta Q670XBB for about 4 months in 2012
    Did own SWB Marian 1800TC Roadster Q741LPP - modified for trials by Fourtune Engineering
    Now own Marlin Sportster with 3.5L BMW straight six powerplant P764DOD - proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely!