Sportster for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster for sale

Is this an older Ford based car, has 4 stud hubs and looks like it may have been a V6 at some point. Also wondering if it's the car in the Sporster brochure!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marlin-Sp...r/254299580073

Either way it's not listed in the gallery.

Any guesses as to the reserve price, and real world value?

David.
    Attached Files
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Sportster for sale

Obviously a fair weather car, hence the lack of windscreen wipers. Other than that a nice looking car.

If I didn't already have a Cabrio this would have definitely been on my radar.
    2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Does beg the question about passing an MOT if there's a windscreen but no wipers! Unless the screen comes off for the MOT
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
        Does beg the question about passing an MOT if there's a windscreen but no wipers! Unless the screen comes off for the MOT
        That works for the current MOT, but it looks as though it once had wipers, if not washers!
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I needed to MOT my LocUst but the wipers wouldn't work and I needed the car, so I took the screen and wipers off and put a 4" high screen on. MOT passed no prob.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
            I needed to MOT my LocUst but the wipers wouldn't work and I needed the car, so I took the screen and wipers off and put a 4" high screen on. MOT passed no prob.
            Handy to know!

Comment

I often wonder whether the average eBay seller of a Marlin car actually looks at the MOC website.

Recently a Devon based garage sold a Marina Roadster and delivered it to Newhaven for immediate export.

Judging by recent adverts in leboncoin.fr, he could have sold it for a lot more if he had advertised on that website.

Similarly I have sent two ebay messages to the seller of this car, specifically asking them to change their settings as I am prohibited from bidding from Spain as the car can’t be delivered there. I don’t want it delivered, I can collect!

Maybe, but I very much doubt it, they will read this. Otherwise they have lost a potential purchaser.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

If you look at Leboncoin, the cars tend to sit on the site for a long time, I think the listing rolls for 2 months and then dies, a new listing with new codes and away you go for another 2 months.
                Marlins tend to just sit in the listings, I think if the sellers reduced their prices then the cars would move on quickly -- problem is, I don't know what a reasonable price here in France would be. I got the red/brown hybrid down to 7k€ the vendor then just stopped communicating, why I've no idea. Think it sold last year for around 5k, however, he has done some work on it!

Comment

Just to conclude this thread I bought this via an ad the vendor had on Gumtree. I caught a train to Aberystwyth with my 10 year old daughter carrying her booster seat and we drove it back to Lancashire on Friday. Very happy, but I’m having to sell my swb Roadster.IMG-3824.JPG
                  Last edited by acbluemarlin; 28-07-19, 06:54 PM. Reason: Added image
                  Original builder of SWB Cabrio chassis no. 04-33 reg. no. CRN540Y - had a 2.8L Cologne V6 when I sold it in 2011
                  Briefly owned Marlin Berlinetta Q670XBB for about 4 months in 2012
                  Did own SWB Marian 1800TC Roadster Q741LPP - modified for trials by Fourtune Engineering
                  Now own Marlin Sportster with 3.5L BMW straight six powerplant P764DOD - proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Comment

Well done, looks like a good car. Is it the demo car from early on?

Comment

I was deeply jealous, until I walked back from the pub this evening in the pouring rain. Lovely car, enjoy.

Comment

I’m not sure it was a demo, I don’t think it’s the car in the brochure snip. But it was built by Marlin as their the first registered owners. The second owner was a Lord! Will try and add more detail as I find it out, and I’ll update the archivist accordingly.
                        Original builder of SWB Cabrio chassis no. 04-33 reg. no. CRN540Y - had a 2.8L Cologne V6 when I sold it in 2011
                        Briefly owned Marlin Berlinetta Q670XBB for about 4 months in 2012
                        Did own SWB Marian 1800TC Roadster Q741LPP - modified for trials by Fourtune Engineering
                        Now own Marlin Sportster with 3.5L BMW straight six powerplant P764DOD - proof that absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Comment

T I A from the archivist

B Rgds - and enjoy your new motor !

DC

Comment

Working...
                          X