Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems to import a Roadster to the Netherlands

Hello to everyone,

just tried to import my roadster by theRDW in the Netherlands and failed.
    The reasons are then VIN is notengraved on the frame, it´s engraved on a welded plate on the leftfront side.
    During the years the car exists theengine had been exchanged from a Triumph GE to GK engine.
    Both are Herald 1296cc engines but theengine number is not identical to the V5 document now.

I have the original V5 document and thecar is registered with a 4 digit VIN number as „Marlin“.

I would appriciate if anyone can helpme to prove the RDW that on Marlins the VIN numbers normally are on awelded plate in front, left side near the suspention.
    Does anyone have experience withimporting kit cars to the netherlands?

Thanks
    Franjo

Re: Problems to import a Roadster to the Netherlands

On a Morris Marina based Roadster, what you describe, is absolutely common. The current regulations in the U.K. also require that the number is applied direct to the chassis not on a separate plate, welded or riveted in place.

My experience is in importing vehicles into Spain from the U.K., it’s a similar problem. I have a good relationship with a couple of garages which helps with preliminary checks.
    Matriculation here relies on a ITV testing station who have 4 roads going through, it is like a continuous production line. I am on first name terms with the director of operations there, it really helps if I talk to him first, even just to say Hi. Then all the paperwork has to be signed off by Trafico, the Spanish authorities in Alicante. I have yet to talk to them personally.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Steve,
      I send you a email for further access to keepandshare, hope to find infos that a welded VIN plate was usual and have to be accepted by the netherlands authorities.

What´s usual in UK when you have a welded VIN plate? Has the VIN to be engraved on the frame to pass the MOT?
      Who has the permission in the UK to engrave the VIN number?
      If a engine had been exchanged how can the engine number be updated in the V5?
      Hope to get answers to my questions soon.

Thanks
      Franjo

the vin has to be engraved on the frame

Comment

Franjo
        Please tell me which Marlin you have purchased (UK reg and Marlin chassis number on the small plate on the chassis)

I can then check the archive and further advise you on possible course of action

Rgds Dave Cunnington MOC Archivist

Comment

Dave,
          send you a pm

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by franjo View Post
            Hi Steve,
            I send you a email for further access to keepandshare, hope to find infos that a welded VIN plate was usual and have to be accepted by the netherlands authorities.

What´s usual in UK when you have a welded VIN plate? Has the VIN to be engraved on the frame to pass the MOT?
            Who has the permission in the UK to engrave the VIN number?
            If a engine had been exchanged how can the engine number be updated in the V5?
            Hope to get answers to my questions soon.

Thanks
            Franjo

the vin has to be engraved on the frame

i have received no email. Try [email protected]

The current regulations for a new registration in the U.K. are that the number has to be on a permanent part of the chassis. When registered 30 years ago, no such regulation existed. The number can be stamped by the owner. It has no specific format.

If the engine has been changed the previous owner should have changed the V5, you will struggle to change details as DVLA often refuse to send documents overseas. Best done through a UK address, but it could get complicated if the DVLA cannot identify you as the owner.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
            X