X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bits for 'new' Marlin ...

Hi/Hello

I'm new to Marlins.
    Plenty of questions. Who made the original base-of-the-windscreen-pillar wing mirrors?

Mine came with ugly racing mirrors attached to the scuttle [mirrors now removed/ditched] - and new Marlin-made sidescreens that already have a gap for earlier mirrors.
    Last edited by marlin1984; 31-07-19, 10:25 AM.

Re: Bits for 'new' Marlin ...

If I've got the correct ones in my head they were offered by YKC as an accessory . Regret that I have no idea whether they had them manufactured or by whom.

Comment

Originally posted by A_Hogg View Post
      If I've got the correct ones in my head they were offered by YKC as an accessory . Regret that I have no idea whether they had them manufactured or by whom.
      There is indeed a listing of Wing Mirrors foe a Roadster on their parts list that can be found here or there.
      Whether they are the right ones or if they are still available, obviously not from YKC, will be a case of matching them to what is available today.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

The circular mirrors on my Roadster and also shown in Steve's YKC listing are similar to motorcycle mirrors.

I think from memory that mine have a m10 male thread,both having clockwise threads. They screw directly into the windscreen pillar. When searching try and select the first part of the arm from threaded pillar end to the bend as long as possible , mine are 6.5cm. Researching tghis for you, I note that most motorcycles mirrors are shorter on this dimension and longer on the length after the bend upto the mirror mounting.

Before purchasing ensure that they have an integral locking ring with 2 flats that takes a 13mm open ended spanner .This is important to have, as the locking ring stops the wind loosening them whilst driving.

Take a look at universal motorcycle mirrors on places like ebay.

Buy the longest arms you can get that still remain inside the side wing area as it is difficult to get them to adjust for a good field of view from behind .

The circular glass size is 105mm and and has a convex view.

I have a 190mm length arm measured from the pillar to the central hole where the mirror mounts the drivers side and 160mm on the passenger side.

When searching for the mirrors,it would however be better if both arms were 190mm to assist adjustment on the passenger side.
        Note including the diameter of the mirror which is 111mm. Then overall length required would be 190 + 111mm/2 = 245mm

Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 01-08-19, 09:40 AM.

Comment

If drilling and tapping a hole don't forget the glass!

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
            If drilling and tapping a hole don't forget the glass!
            There is quite a debate as to whether the Roadster windscreen frame is hollow or solid, it might depend on exactly where you drill.

This might help with how deep you can go, and where.

MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

These companies can supply a range of different mirrors. Not necessarily the "original" type.

Jump Starter Over and over again, With a six second High Rate technology, you will be able to start the largest of diese

One-stop shop for Kit Car and Classic Car Parts, Kit Car repairs and painting. Tools and Accessories for the Kit Car and Classic Car Enthusiast.

This is not an endorsement of them and other companies are available.
              Paul

Comment

Thanks all.

Will check long-stemmed motorcycle mirrors.

Comment

Just found an old YKC leaflet in the box of papers that came with the Marlin. YKC used to offer a windscreen mirror at £30 each plus pp !

I will look at fleabay m/cycle mirrors with long arms [ got plenty of drills and taps ...].
                  Last edited by marlin1984; 25-08-19, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X