Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitstop 212 LED lights.

Ben kindly shared this page

A little extra clarification from an optical point of view but keeping it simple.

Approved vehicle lighting was designed prior to LED to match the exact filament location, and to reflect, usings the fittings internal reflectors, in combination with its lens to focus the light in very particular pattern and direction.
    LED’s do not directly replicate the same filament location, so the lighting pattern and direction will be very different.
    This explains why swapping filament lamps for LED is unadvisable.

More modern replacement fittings designed to use LED lamps have significantly different internal reflectors and lenses. Which must be mounted at particular angles in order to meet the necessary standards.

As stated its highly unlikely that your vehicle will fail an MOT, but that is the lowest possible requirement for vehicle external lighting.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Re: Pitstop 212 LED lights.

Thanks for that Steve.
    Following the comments after my post about having the indicators placed on the inside and not the outside I did check visually that there was +-80 degrees of coverage from the lights as required by the current regulations.
    When subject to the IVA test back in 2009 the examiner went no further than checking the same angle of coverage. He did not measure the intensity of the lights. So in my opinion they are a suitable replacement for the hideous lights that were their predecessor. Now wether they are legal or not in the eyes of the law I don't know but they seem functionally identical.
    Last edited by chris_cussen; 04-08-19, 05:18 PM. Reason: 1/2 bottle of red. Typos.

Comment

Re: Pitstop 212 LED lights.

Just received from Car Builder Solutions https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...eid=5ebcb924b2

looks much more motorcycle oriented, but claim to be fully legal.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
      X