Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project roadster on eBay.

Hi Dave,
    You should go look at it, buy it and then figure how to Pay for it. :-)
    Mind you adding the aero screens to the project roadster on eBay would be one option with the screen surround cut off.
    Last edited by meverett; 10-08-19, 08:51 PM.

Comment

No No No ! I have two projects on the go now, a Series1 Landrover that is getting a brake overhaul after changing a rear wheel bearing on a semi floating back axle, a pig of a job The Roadster needs a gearbox overhaul and clutch release bearing. A dog that wants a two hour walk every day. I am retired and I am not awake enough hours. I could pay for it but I would have to clear the decks of everything else and devote myself to it. The problem is that I don't have the mindset to do it, concentrating on one thing is not me. I wish it was! Go for it you know you want to. Dave
      Last edited by HairyDave; 10-08-19, 09:09 PM.

Comment

You are right Dave, I do want it but don’t know where to put it where it won’t get in the way.
        Also I don’t have the time to do anything with it, work, the family, my existing Roadster and other interests seem to get in the way.
        I am still thinking about it and if I do I will completely strip it and get most of the parts inside the garage and try the hard top for size and fit in mine.

Comment

Funny how life gets in the way of what we want to do. You mentioned an 'A' frame for your roadster. It is something I am thinking about, so we can take take the Marlin with us on holiday. Any chance of a photo?

Comment

Loads on eBay. Mine is almost the same as this one below. The chains go around the wishbones and a link then locks in an eye on the ratchet strap and tightened up. They are bleddy handy as I have used it a couple of times and you don’t need a driver in the towed car, just the key in the ignition to unlock the steering.
            I must add that you shouldn’t use reverse when using and towing though.

8459754B-60BB-4C6F-9BEA-A8086434977A.jpeg
            Last edited by meverett; 10-08-19, 09:57 PM.

Comment

I have a similar piece, bought it new off Ebay from a guy in the Dudley area, I thought the 2 'legs 'were a bit long so I reduced their length by about 12 - 15 inches. I can take a photo if reqd. However I thought they were now illegal under EU law? I suppose that may change after Brexit! I used mine last year here a la frog to visit the mot equivalent testing station as the starter motor was on its out.

Comment

Cheers for those. I was given one lke that, but I was thinking more of fittings on the bumper and a simpler bolt on frame. It has got me thinking though. Thank you! Dave
                PS.I thought over 750 Kg brakes were needed

Comment

I was looking at the prices of a towing dolly, how much? Almost cheaper to buy a trailer. Someone is selling plans on eBay to build your own would be a whole lot cheaper.
                  The standard A frame is universal and attaches to the wishbones. You could adapt one just for the Marlin.
                  You could be right about unbraked towing weight limit but they sell them with limits up to 3.5T unbraked.

Comment

The A frames tend to be classed as a recovery item, rather than a towing item, and is therefore a bit of a grey area. I'd suggest if you're towing the Marlin to go on holiday, that you disable the car in some way, and if stopped by the police say it's broken down.
                    I believe in France they must have a way of braking the car and I've seen pictures of a crude steel cable going straight from the brake pedal to the towing hitch which solves the problem.
                    There's more info one one of my posts from a couple of years back I think.
                    I'm planning of making/buying one in the near future. Probably buying one, as they are normally selling for just over £100.
                    Gareth.

Comment

I think the point is 750 Kg if it is a trailer, eg towing a road legal working car rather than abroken down or rescued car traveling to a place of repair. Dollies I belive have their own rules. I love the AA dollies that unfold from the back of the Transit. The person that designed it was some origami master

Comment

Even better still when they fold out of the back of a Honda Goldwing.

Comment

Back to the topic, the project roadster has sold. Nope not to me, anyone else on here buy it?
                          In the back of my mind I am glad as I really didn’t want another project on the go.

Comment

Oh, I know that feeling, maybe we made someone think it was a good idea and they drove down and bought it. With a bit of luck we will hear from them soon. Now we wait for the next dreamboat. Dave

Comment

Now we wait for the next dreamboat. Dave[/QUOTE]

Think I'll await the petticoats to quote an album title ;-))

Comment

Love the music attribution Tony
                                No one picked up on this yet ?? eBay item number:143353019419

"Uncompleted" and DVLA says it's a black Morris
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X