Project roadster on eBay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project roadster on eBay.

Just a touch pricey for an unregistered Roadster. A real barn find!

Comment

I did see that one and it’s about 70miles up the road from me but didn’t want to encourage myself to think about it :-)

Comment

Returning briefly to A Frames.
        They are certainly frowned upon in the EU. Normally in the EU27, the UK being stubbornly different your insurance company covers, not roadside assistance, where someone attempts to repair your broken down vehicle at the roadside, which is generally frowned upon, but a recovery service to a local repairer. Local is an important word, it will not necessarily cover you if you are on a long trip or get you home.

But as with many things, the UK has found some wriggle room in the EU legislation, the details of which are detailed.

Don't expect to show this to a French police officer as justification for using an a frame abroad.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
          Love the music attribution Tony
          No one picked up on this yet ?? eBay item number:143353019419

"Uncompleted" and DVLA says it's a black Morris
          And in black gel coat? Which PKK was by request from me at the time as I couldn't afford paint, don't see many like that.
          - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
          - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
            Just a touch pricey for an unregistered Roadster. A real barn find!
            The last MOT expired in 2009 but had an interesting list of previous fails and advisories
            that were resolved within two days!!

GOV.UK

Check MOT history

CMA601K MORRIS

Colour Black

Fuel type Petrol

Date registered 1 July 1971

MOT expired on 17 March 2009

Date tested 18 March 2008

Pass

Mileage 62,365 miles

MOT test number 9922 4857 8071

Test location

View test location
            Expiry date 17 March 2009

Advisory notice item(s)

• Nearside Front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
            • Brakes imbalanced requirements only just met. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (3.7.B.5b)
            • no seat belts fitted

Date tested 16 March 2008

Fail

Mileage 62,365 miles

MOT test number 4300 1627 8025

Test location

View test location

Reason(s) for failure

• Front registration plate missing (6.3.1a)
            • Offside Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d)
            • Nearside Headlamp aim too low (1.8)
            • Offside Headlamp aim too low (1.8)
            • Front Windscreen wiper not operating automatically when switched on (8.2.1b)
            • Nearside Rear Braking system leaking (3.6.A.1) Dangerous
            • Offside Rear Braking system leaking (3.6.A.1) Dangerous
            • Nearside rear parking brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.6a) Dangerous
            • Offside rear parking brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.6a) Dangerous
            • Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7) Dangerous

Advisory notice item(s)

• Nearside Front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
            • Offside Front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
            • Brakes imbalanced requirements only just met. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (3.7.B.5b)
            • no seat belts fitted

What are failures and advisories?

Check if MORRIS CMA601K has outstanding recalls

Support links

Open Government Licence
            All content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0, except where otherwise stated

© Crown copyright

Good going by any standard.

However one has to question a 1971 registered car passing its MOT with no seat belts fitted.

The original 1971 Marina would have had seat belts as they were compulsory since 1967.

Bearing this in mind it would seem the car has been a Marlin for quite some time but probably
            without any proof, unless the description on the V5 has been amended.
            Last edited by b_caswell; 12-08-19, 11:50 AM.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Anyone got a B-series that big?

"Nearly finished" seems a long way off the mark > split seat/incomplete wiring/no paint/hacked-about bodywork/ etc. etc. Looks like a huge amount of hard work and £££s ...

Comment

Steve Green's Gov. info is interesting - particularly the bit about a number plate requirement on the 'unit'.
                Quote "There are also requirements for the display of the appropriate number plate on the rear of the towed ‘unit’".

Strange. Farmer's round here are allowed to flout this - and many have no visible number plate on the trailer.

Comment

Thanks for that Steve, saved me looking.
                  Marlin1984 Ithink you can bore a B out to that. Might it b a 2l O series? Farmers are a law unto themselves. Some using a tractor and trailer as as a road vehicle on agricultural tax and fuel.

Comment

meverett, of course you did but it is not interesting enough. No I'm not, at all at all not!

Comment

Details suggest the origin was a 1971 Morris Marina. B-series bored out to 1950cc ? Seems a bit unlikely looking at it in general.

Mind you it would not be the first car to have major tuning - even though quite poor in other areas ..

I always thought the 2.0 O-series was actually 1994cc. ?

Could it just be that the seller hasn't a clue? OR - is the seller 'flying a kite' ?
                      Last edited by marlin1984; 12-08-19, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Typo? instead of 1978cc could be 1798?

Comment

No engine pictures. Not properly registered could be a big problem. It does look like a barn find maybe a relative's old car. I wonder if the seller is reading this?

Comment

Seller has confirmed it is an '1800 cc' engine.
                            Last edited by marlin1984; 13-08-19, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marlin1984 View Post
                              Seller has confirmed it is an '1800 cc' engine.
                              I can’t see the point of boring out a ‘B’ series to 1950, the max that I understand is possible, unless you want to retain MG heritage, but it’s power output is always going to be limited bu by the three port exhaust manifold. An engine/transmission swap seems to be much more sensible for a kit car, if you want more power.

There is a more interesting alternative, a Marina owner bolted a Zetec head onto a ‘B’ series block, I will let you search for that, but it seems to work.
                              MOC member since 05/97
                              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Going back to the project roadster at the Lizard. If the buyer is or becomes a MOC member and local to me and needs some body panels, I have a spare used rear tub, some running boards and rear arches.

Comment

Working...
                                X