The future's electric?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The future's electric?...

Is it time to scrap my b series engine?...
    BBC News - Tesla motors make classic Ferraris go faster
    Electric cars have to be as cool as petrol ones to really take off, and these engineers think they can be

Re: The future's electric?...

I read that. I think that kit car owners would embrace this slightly ahead of the classic car guys, as we like a challenge !

But the sentence "The basic process differs little from firm to firm: take out the engine and fuel tank and replace them with a battery pack and motor, often connecting the motor to the old gear box. made me think ... I honestly imagined the gearbox would be done away with .. I suspect I'm in for a bit of an education from more informed members ....
    Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
    Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Originally posted by 928cdu View Post
      I honestly imagined the gearbox would be done away with .. I suspect I'm in for a bit of an education from more informed members ....
      I'm with you on this bit, I have always been led to believe that electric cars are pretty much direct drive, with the electronics governing whether you are in forward or reverse. Given the huge amounts of torque available to electric motors I would expect them to shred the gearbox.
      2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

There’s an earlier thread here, not long ago, where I asked this question as I’d just been quoted £25k by the company that did the Ferrari do do my car Marlin, scary!

You can get the parts, motor(s), batteries and controller etc for under £10k but that’s still pricey for us I think.
        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

I like the idea of the electric motor drive with a small engine to charge the batteries. The charging engine is contrived to run at maximum efficiency and the motor avoids the weight of the gearbox. I think I remember a British inventor describing this system in the 1970s. At that time with petrol 25p a gallon the reception was muted (ignoring several conspiracy theories).

I was quite impressed to find that BMW now makes a version the i3.
          Engine 125kW electric motor (equivalent to 168bhp, 184lb ft), with 647cc 2-cyl petrol range extender
          Gearbox Single-speed automatic, rear-wheel drive
          Stats 8.1sec 0-62mph, 93mph, 13g/km CO2

Single-speed automatic – sounds like an oxymoron to me. There is a video of the gearbox construction here:

I was apprenticed to Enfield Automotive that made the Enfield 8000 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enfield_8000) Drivers struggled with parking because of the instant torque. A technique using the brake and accelerator could be used. A colleague owns an i3 and I’m happy to report the take off was very smooth. Electronics have come a long way.
          Paul

Comment

Working...
          X