Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: 10cwt van axle ...

1. #1 10cwt van axle ... 
    regular forum contributor Club Member
    Just bought one from eBay.

Overhauling it with new seals/brakes/etc.
    Wheel cylinders are only 5/8" bore BTW.

Hub nuts are damn tight!
    They are an odd size - 1 61/64" AF ...

ETA Noticed a probable typo in Leyland's MGB manual. It says diff side gear washers are "Tufnal"? Never heard of it - but I have heard of Tufnol.
    Last edited by marlin1984; Yesterday at 12:18 PM.

2. #2 Re: 10cwt van axle ... 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marlin1984 View Post
    Just bought one from eBay.

Overhauling it with new seals/brakes/etc.
    Wheel cylinders are only 5/8" bore BTW.

Hub nuts are damn tight!

These nuts are somewhat confusingly stamped "L/H" and "RH". That refers to axle side NOT thread.

Left [near] side of axle is a right-hand thread, right [off] side is a left-hand thread.
    They are an odd size - 1 61/64" AF ...

ETA Noticed a probable typo in Leyland's MGB manual. It says diff side gear washers are "Tufnal"? Never heard of it - but I have heard of Tufnol.

The 10CWT axle used in Marina Commercials, was to my knowledge, and that could be wrong, was never used in an MGB, so I am confused!

i went the opposite direction, a 3.45 Dolomite Sprint axle, intended for road use, and top speed, when coupled to a tuned ‘B’ series and a type 9 0.82 5th gear ratio overdrive gearbox.

Every indication was that I was heading for a 2.0 Zetec conversion, but life got in the way!

One day I might get back to my stash of 10cwt axles and do some research, but they are in the UK, and I am in Spain.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

3. #3 Re: 10cwt van axle ... 
    regular forum contributor Club Member
    Sorry to confuse you Steve!

I was researching the size and thread of the hub-nuts on 'B-series axles' when I came across "Tufnal" in the MGB file.

Agreed - nothing directly to do with the van axle - but I will check it for similar Tufnol washers.