2l DOHC engine removal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2l DOHC engine removal.

The engine has over the last 2 years sprung some bottom end oil leaks and it was pointed out at the last MOT. They seem to be coming from the sump gasket and the front crankshaft seal.
    So I am starting to plan the removal of the engine and gearbox over winter, this will entail removing the front end of the body, lights and radiator, this is not a problem to me, but has anybody removed the engine without removing the front wings?
    Would be grateful of any advice as to this work to be done.

Re: 2l DOHC engine removal.

Hi Stewart. I've done 2l DOHC engine in/out several times. If you are going to only work on the engine I would leave the gearbox in place.
    1. Remove bonnet. You can get better access if you remove the engine bay side panels but it isn't necessary.
    2. Remove radiator.
    3. Disconnect battery, wiring to engine, fuel lines and hoses from engine.
    4. Undo exhaust manifold and move to one side.
    If you don't need to remove the gearbox (i never did) then
    5. Fit engine hoist to the two eyes at the back and front of the engine. Take some of the weight of the engine.
    6. Remove starter motor
    7. Undo the ring of bolts between gearbox and engine
    8. put sling under the gearbox to take its weight.
    9. Undo the nuts holding the engine mounts to the chassis and lift the engine slightlly to take its weight. Tighten sling.
    10. remove the bolts holding the engine mounts to the engine.
    11. Swing the engine forward to disengage it from gearbox input shaft.
    12. There should be enough room to lift the engine straight up.
    Installation is the reverse!
    Simples.

Comment

Thanks Chris for your experience, I am now thinking “do I need to take the box out?” Maybe not, I will now think about that.
      Did you leave the nose cone in place?

Comment

Yes. nose stayed in place.
        I don't know if you can take out engine and gearbox in one peice with removing any more. When I installed it as a unit there were no panels fitted, and the gearbox has remained in place ever since.

Comment

Thanks for that, if I leave the box in, it means that I do not have to remove the electrics on the front, it will save time.
          Did you use a mobile crane hoist?

Comment

You can remove the engine and gearbox on a V8 but you have to remove it as one lump.
            I has been dropped out below ( by John M)
            but I always lift it out with a crane.

Comment

Yes you can leave all the electrics to the lights etc. in place.
              An engine crane would be useful. I dangle the engine from a beam in the garage and push the car back after I have freed the engine and lifted it to clear the nose cone. With the car pushed back I lower the engine onto a home made trolley with casters so I can push it around the garage. I don't have a lot of room as I have a standard single garage so its a bit of a squeeze.

Comment

I haven’t got much headroom in my garage so may have to remove lights and nose cone, will remove some of the engine components to allow easier access due to leaving wings on.

Comment

My local garage changed the crankshaft seal on my 2.1 DOHC injection engine without removing anything at all. They had a puller which fitted between the pulley and radiator. Looking under mine I reckon the sump gasket can be changed in situ. Just raise the car high enough to work comfortably. David.

Comment

Distance between floor and the bottom of the beam I use is 2.25metres.
                    I put a chain around the beam and use one of these hoists .

Comment

My garage beams are reinforced concrete and have been up since 1974, so don’t think I can trust to sling a chain hoist around them.
                      I do own a mobile engine hoist to which I have measured the clearance and I am 20cm short of the nose cone so nose cone comes out.
                      Thanks for the help

Comment

Take the front wheels off and drop the car using axle stands would that not work?

Comment

The hoists legs only just clear the bottom suspension legs with the wheels on

Comment

ah, forgot that bit, silly me he says going over to sit in the corner ;-))
                            However having thpught about it the hoist I used had feet which would splay out to give a greater and lower possible work area!
                            Last edited by Tony Stott; 23-08-19, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X