Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1800 B series 7 bladed yellow plastic fan blade for fitment water pump & 1-2 spacer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1800 B series 7 bladed yellow plastic fan blade for fitment water pump & 1-2 spacer

Hi I currently have the 3 bladed early MGB fan fitted to I think is the shallow water pump pulley that originally took a 7 bladed yellow plastic fan possibly with a viscous coupling.

Currently the fan is too far from the radiator on my Mk2 Roadster.

I have researched that on some MGB's there was a 1" aluminium spacer that would move/site the fan nearer to the radiator.

Does anyone have a 7 blade plastic fan going spare and either 1 or 2 of those 1" spacers and the resulting required 4 longer UNF water pump bolts needed to fit that combination please ?

The closer I can move the fan blade towards the radiator the better, however I am aware that the limiting factor will be getting it to just before the steering rack.

Thanks for reading this request

Re: 1800 B series 7 bladed yellow plastic fan blade for fitment water pump & 1-2 spac

Originally posted by Ye Ol Ripper View Post
    Hi I currently have the 3 bladed early MGB fan fitted to I think is the shallow water pump pulley that originally took a 7 bladed yellow plastic fan possibly with a viscous coupling.

Currently the fan is too far from the radiator on my Mk2 Roadster.

I have researched that on some MGB's there was a 1" aluminium spacer that would move/site the fan nearer to the radiator.

Does anyone have a 7 blade plastic fan going spare and either 1 or 2 of those 1" spacers and the resulting required 4 longer UNF water pump bolts needed to fit that combination please ?

The closer I can move the fan blade towards the radiator the better, however I am aware that the limiting factor will be getting it to just before the steering rack.

Thanks for reading this request
    Alternatively, fit a cowl to the back of the radiator shaped to funnel the air onto the existing fan? If the fan side is a close diameter to the fan it should suck the air through the radiator more efficiently? Or, consider ditching the engine mounted fan and fit an electric one direct to the radiator, there are many plus points to doing that.
    2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Re: 1800 B series 7 bladed yellow plastic fan blade for fitment water pump & 1-2 spac

Several spacers on eBay at the moment...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-...8AAOSwAaxcVLrl
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Btw , I have ditched the fan and have an electric fan fitted however on long trips of 2 hours or more the engine doesn't cool efficiently enough, even with the 1800 landcrab radiator and then starts to use oil because of it running hot. It is for that reason I would like to use both. The temperature gauge and sensor are brand new and this rise in heat build up does not show on the guage. On short trips and short blasts the engine uses no oil at all and there are no leaks .

The cooling system has been flushed now about 20 times in total, so it's not because of that .

Comment

My MGB hated stopping. It built up heat very quickly. The people at Moss said to put the engine fan back on as it created an airflow over the engine. ( I had an electric fan fitted) So I replaced the engine fan and kept the electric fan in case!

Comment

Hi

My two peneth.

I have a kenlow and also a 7 blade fan from an MGB.

The kenlow cools the radiator and the fan pushes the heat from the engine out via the shark fins.

Works brilliantly, no overheating even when sitting in traffic at Le Mans Classic.

I have to say not my idea, it was suggested by my Classic Car mechanic.

Adrian

Originally posted by djj_engineer View Post
            My MGB hated stopping. It built up heat very quickly. The people at Moss said to put the engine fan back on as it created an airflow over the engine. ( I had an electric fan fitted) So I replaced the engine fan and kept the electric fan in case!

Comment

Hi Adrian
              This is the line of thought that I also have , i.e to use both.

The original builder of my Roadster that I met at this years Stoneleigh recalls that it had the yellow 7 bladed fan and thinks it ran fine with just that . However in view of the fact that he built approx 20 different kit cars since, remembering what traits each build had unless they were recorded, it is possible that his info might night not be entirely accurate.

The reason I posted was because some people have moved on from the B series and might have the required parts gathering dust in their garage. Of course I am able to source new parts off ebay or Moss.

Interestingly there have been a lot of failures using the Moss supplied 7 blade fans see the following:
              Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 18-08-19, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Beware plastic MGB fans, they have a tendency to deflect towards the steering rack fixings ultimately catastrophically.
                they might be fine at tickover, but at 5000 RPM deflect towards the radiator with the inevitable result of coming into contact with something that was not originally planned to be there!
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I didn't use the plastic fan I had the originals steel 4 blade fan

Comment

I didn't use the spacer to get it nearer the radiator, it was just there to take the heat out from under the bonnet.

Adrian

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                    Beware plastic MGB fans, they have a tendency to deflect towards the steering rack fixings ultimately catastrophically.
                    they might be fine at tickover, but at 5000 RPM deflect towards the radiator with the inevitable result of coming into contact with something that was not originally planned to be there!

Comment

Adrian
                      I recall your engine is a 1275 "A" series engine which may possibly sit a different distance from the steering rack & ultimately the radiator compared to a 1798 "B"series engine.

Comment

Hi

Correct, sorry if I have misled you.

Adrian

Originally posted by Ye Ol Ripper View Post
                        Adrian
                        I recall your engine is a 1275 "A" series engine which may possibly sit a different distance from the steering rack & ultimately the radiator compared to a 1798 "B"series engine.

Comment

The same fan was used on some Minis but beware that some blew and some sucked (I may be mistaken in thinking it was the same fan, but a mini A Series fan will fit a B series water pump.) I sourced one for my old B Series Roadster and trimmed the blades to just miss the rack fixings, but the first time I braked hard the rubber engine mounts flexed, the fan hit the rack mounts and disintegrated.

I sourced the largest flattest electric fan I could find that was rear mounted and fixed it in front of the radiator but to the grille so it was blowing the right way, controlled by a thermostatic switch I never had any more cooling problems.
                          Last edited by boustrophedon; 24-04-20, 04:50 PM.
                          Formally DonSayers on here.

Comment

Working...
                          X