Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warsaw to Italy again

It is not yet done but...

Whoever may be on my way please respond. I plan to leave Warsaw around 20.08 and arrive to Acquasparta a week later. On 31st i have my flight back to Warsaw and will leave the Berlinetta to my son for the next two weeks.
    14.09 we attend a wedding near Lago Maggiore after that i will start my way back that should take 1-2 weeks.
    On the way back I may go through southern France (Provence) and French, Swiss and Italian Alps followed by Austria or Germany.
    My father-in-law lives in Strasbourg so that may also be included.

I will post updates as my trip progresses.
    If you would like to meet or join on some part of the trip let me know. My email is the same as my login here on gmail.

Best regards
    Roman

Re: Warsaw to Italy again

Have a good trip
    Liz

Comment

Oil and filter changed. New radiator fan installed. Additional low speed manual fan feed installed. (Thermostat is full power)
      Front number plate fixed. Drivers wiper (left) split filed with two component resin.
      And some more small improvements done.

And finally started the journey.
      Attached Files

Comment

Enjoy the trip, car looks great !
        Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
        Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Sounds like good preparation. Have a good trip and keep the photos coming. I really enjoyed seeing those from your last trip. Peter.

Comment

Once upon a time... about a week and 1600 miles ago I left my home.
            In the first day was traveling through Poland in the west direction to join my friends on holiday. Most of way was on a flatland but I was able to find side ways without too much traffic and some nice views.
            I was taking pics mostly with my (fresh install) dash cam. The quality is not the best but at some point later I had to format the card and all pics were gone.
            So just one from my phone.
            This was 21st of August = Day 1
            Attached Files

Comment

Day 2
              Woke up in a nice area that I haven’t seen on arrival as it was already dark. Direction for today was south. I have passed
              through Swiebodzin which is proud to have the largest Jesus Christi figure in the world. Yes, bigger than the one in Rio de Janeiro. It has also to oldest Tesco market as it was build 5 years B.C.
              A few attempts were made to use a river ferry but all were closed due to low water levels.
              I stopped overnight in Wolimierz near Polish/Czech border. There is a former railway station owned by an theater/performance art group. I have been there about 20 years ago and it is still a busy place. A Punkrock Festival was starting next day.
              1. Morning
              2. Swiebodzin
              3. Wolimierz
              Attached Files

Comment

Day 3
                It was a long day. Started around 6 am and stopped about 8 pm. Entered Czech Republic in the morning on small local roads. Have seen a lot of people picking up mushrooms in the woods - lots of cars parked on road sides and people walking along with baskets full with boletus and other that I don’t know the English name.
                It was mostly sunny drive until evening.
                On early afternoon entered Germany. Typical views you may expect. Bavarian Ordnung. As I stopped for a swim in Chiemsee the sky started to fill with heavy Clouds.
                Just a short walk to a waterfall top up the day and I was ready to sleep. About 600 km done.
                1. Bavarian landscape
                2. Waterfall
                Attached Files

Comment

Great way to use the car, thanks for posting the pics ! Safe trip 👍
                  Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
                  Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Day 4

In a fogy/cloudy weather entered Austria but sun has found its way to see me driving. Over land road passed Brenner and got to Italy.
                    First stop was at Brixen/Bressanone wehere we stayed at one of our ski holidays in winter.
                    Then the “Dolomites rollercoaster” has started:
                    San Martin de Tor, Pian Falzarego, Arabba, Passo Pordoi, Canazei, Tiers
                    The weather was “dangerous” most of the time with thunders sounding occasionally but I had to stop only twice and put on the soft top during the break. This was enough to continue the journey open-top although sometimes wet-head. Wet-head was not enough so a swim in a small mountain lake was taken. A marmot spotted on a rock nearby.
                    Decided for the overnight stop on a small road that was supposed to be closed but a nice local stopped and informed me that the road was repaired and passable.
                    In the narrow canyon the afternoon light was so weak that I decided to stop.
                    1. Morning in Austria
                    2. Dolomiti road panorama
                    3. Selfie
                    Attached Files

Comment

Day 5 Sunday

Continued down the narrow canyon and then up another one to get above the valley and see the sunrise. Stopped after passing a bridge to make some pictures an decided to have a walk downstairs to see it from the river level and had cappuccino by the way. Beautiful windy roads and views changing dramatically every few kilometers.
                      I was going south near Bolzano and Trento but not entering the cities.
                      T-shirt seemed to be just right for the weather.
                      And all of a sudden it happen again...
                      I was leaving Arsiero when my clutch pedal did not come back. A few wires were not broken so I was able to adjust the remains and move from the spot. I was not able to put the gear in with the engine running but started engine in the first gear and have enough slide not to jump forward. Switching the gears up was somehow ok but to reduce I had to adjust the revolutions to suit the gear before I could push it in. After a few kilometers I’ve found an overcrowded parking area where I was able to roll in and find a safe spot.
                      On a Sunday evening the only things I could do about it was a walk to a small chapel on top of a hill and have a glass (small jar) of wine in a bistro nearby.

1. Sunrise
                      2. Bridge. Overhead panorama
                      3. Window view
                      4. Rainbow
                      Attached Files

Comment

Day 6

I’ve heard the first wire breaking in Warsaw so visually inspected the clutch line. It must be one of the internal wires as it looked perfect. I have a spare line in my garage and had the thought to take it but somehow didn’t packed it.
                        Fortunately on my post from last year there was a picture of my fixed clutch line so I was able to show what I’m looking for. It is much easier than explaining it in Italian.
                        Thanks to the failure and resulting walk (9km) I was able to discover a very nice walking/biking way that was originally a railway line Rocchette-Arsiero. From a local MOT station I have been redirected to a suitable metal store. Paid 0.70 euro for a steel rope union - a bargain. At 10:40 I was on my way again.
                        I left the mountains and the temperatures raised so a T-shirt was even too much and I started thinking how to install an air-condition into the Berlinetta.
                        After cooling myself in the Pad river I’ve found that Imola is almost on my way.
                        Bikers had a training so I was not allowed on the track. (Its a joke. Ha, ha)
                        After enjoying my again smoothly running car in the morning I was a little upset to find that she occasionally cuts out. Seems like water in fuel or fuel starving. With low throttle it was running but increase caused to cut out. I had the same problem with my very first Marlin drive UK to Poland. It was dirt collecting on the pickup line filter in the tank. Just a stop and some shaking and the problem disappeared for some time.
                        Not this time. I was able to drive further but some of the comfort and relaxed feeling has gone. The flat part of Italy was finally passed and I have reached the hilly land again.
                        Decided to stop on top of one of them and use the light before sunset to check the carburetor. Nothing wrong found. Beautiful sunset seen. So far so good for the day.

4. This parking area was full in the evening. You may spot the Berlinetta and the chapel
                        3. Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari
                        2. Mountains again
                        1. Sunset
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by romeks44; 29-08-19, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Day 7

Started at 6:10 am with about 250 km to do. Nice, empty roads with great views. Even first 100 km passed smoothly but then another cutout happen. I have topped up the tank twice since the first cutout. So checked the electrics. Disconnecting and reconnecting the capacitor (or ballast resistor - aluminium cylinder with plastic end and three spades connectors of that only two are used) seemed improve running.
                          A short plunge in a river just before noon and the drive continued in temperatures above 30 C and sun shining hard. The last 100km of roads were even worse than Polish.
                          Anyway at 3:15pm I arrived to the destination. A short calculation showed exactly 1600 miles were done.

1. Morning
                          2. Selfie
                          3. Nice river to cool down
                          4. Arrival
                          Attached Files

Comment

The real holiday.

The three days in Acquasparta had passed in a moment. We did two trips: to Assisi and a very short one to a starting point of a round walk around the neighbor hills and an abandoned village. Now we are on the way to Ciampino airport. As we I mean now me plus wife plus daughter and her friend. The Berlinetta stays in Italy with my son and his girlfriend.
                            Regarding the cutouts I tried to tinker around the ignition electrics to find next morning that she did not start at all. So I’ve run all the points I touched before and after reseating the three pin connector to optical distributor sensor (Lumenition) she started immediately. Let’s hope that this was the primary problem and not a new one caused by myself.
                            Just one picture of Assisi but in different light than last year.

Thank you for your attention and nice comments.
                            To be continued in two weeks....
                            Attached Files

Comment

Well... it was continued. But I did not found time to update.
                              Time is still short so just a few pictures to warm you up and give inspiration for the summer plans.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by romeks44; 24-01-20, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X