New owner in Rutland, V5 advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner in Rutland, V5 advice needed

Hi, I'm a new owner in Rutland and have just bought a SWB roadster which I believe is a marina variant. I could use some advice on a couple of V5 registration issues I've spotted:

The car is registered as a Marlin although the date is 1973 which I assume will have come from the donor. The car has a VIN which starts SABTVR which google tells me is a DVLA issued code for kits. This all makes sense as I think the previous owner worked with the DVLA to get it changed from being registered as the donor car to a Marlin.

The V5 arrived in the post yesterday and there are two problems:

1) The VIN on the V5 is 16 characters. It is identical to the one on the car but missing one digit in the middle - the car has "222", the V5 has "22". I thought all modern VINs were 17 characters and I suspect this is a typo on the V5?

2) The engine number is different, I know that the last owner but one replaced the engine and I suspect he didn't update the V5. The current engine starts 18V847 and has twin carbs so I know its a 1800 which matches the V5. My guess is its a mid 70's Marina TC. I have before and after photos of the replacement work but no paperwork.

Does anyone have any experience of these kind of problems, am I best to try and get the DVLA to correct the V5? - I don't want to do anything that might require me to do an IVA but I'm concerned if I don't deal with this I'll regret it later.
    Last edited by atlanticblue; 21-08-19, 12:20 AM.

Re: New owner in Rutland, V5 advice needed

Welcome!!
    I have a Berly, and 4-5 years ago discovered a similar situation to yours.
    Living in france, I should have registered my car here when I moved permanently here, carried on with it using my mother's UK address.
    So because the car was then over the 30 year old threshold to get a French reg no I had to apply for a Certificate of Attestation to the French Fed of old vehicles, got the paperwork, which required photographs of engine no, chassis no etc. Duly taken and then the comparison with the V5, there wasn't a chassis no, just a plate pop rivetted together with what I assumed to be the plate from the original donor. The engine number was different, spoke to DVLA, the advice was to submit a letter and documentation plus a photo of the engine number etc.
    I was fortunate I suppose in that I had an invoice for installation of a new engine dated 12 or 13 years before. This error appeared to have been never picked up. I submitted all the document copies and eventually the revised V5 arrived here -- it took about 5-6 weeks. But there were no problems encountered.
    The V5 also had a VIN no starting SABTVR but with only a string of 11 numbers. The other plate had had the I assume original VIN number scored out, it is still fitted, however at the last mot equiv check I was advised to remove it as it did not conform/correspond to the French system of documentation. It is still mounted on the car, I will Duck tape over it at the next test!
    My car doesn't have a discernible chassis number in the normal Berly positions, but I do have the original Invoice / delivery documentation which shows the chassis number, recently given to DC for his archives!
    Hope this helps or maybe its just a rambling old bloke. ;-))
    Last edited by Tony Stott; 21-08-19, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Hi Blue, if you tell me which car you have I may be able to help

My email details are in Pitstop magazine

Rgds
      Dave Cunnington
      Club Archivist

Comment

Thanks Tony that's helpful, I've read on the DVLA site that a letter on headed paper from a garage to confirm the engine number might be acceptable instead of an invoice for the install - I might have to go that route.

Regards Tom, aka AtlanticBlue
        Last edited by atlanticblue; 21-08-19, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks Dave, looking through the forum archive I think this might be a car you helped the previous owner get the make change to a Marlin a year or so ago. I'll drop you an email with the details. Cheers Tom, aka AltanticBlue

Comment

Hi Tom, Hope the identity problem is soon solved for you. I live at Houghton on the Hill, on the A47 not far from you. If you want to talk Marlins then I am probably your nearest contact. I have got a Marina based Roadster and you are welcome to get a Marlin "fix" any time. Also, I organise the local Meetings - SEMS, which is detailed in Pitstop. However, there are 2 detail changes which will be in the next edition. Firstly, my new email address is [email protected] and as from next month we will be meeting on the 2nd Saturday of the months listed. All other details are correct. Either email me or phone on 0116 2418183. Franklin Woodcock.
            Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Working...
            X