Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: help !!

Originally posted by wiggiesworld View Post
    When you get your replacement made, have you considered having it fitted in a manner similar to the Cabrio's whereby each end of the hinge is also secured to the bodywork? That why if a clip comes loose the worst you can anticipate is it flapping up and down a tad. Just a thought, don't know if this a fitment that can be done to a roadster?
    Bit of a sore point, that's how mine "was" fitted to stop it coming off but after the respray i haven't got round to putting the front fitting on

Comment

Inspired by how the original bonnet was made I'm going to make a new one with a little help for a friend. but can someone please measure the thickness of the sheet used I'm guessing at 2mm, but if someone can check it would be appreciated.

Comment

Yep my hinged bonnet is 2mm
        Good luck

Comment

Hi Nigel Sorry to hear about your bonnet when my one piece came off many moons back I managed to salvage it with the help
          of a night school tutor. But still carries some scars

The original Marlin brochure says all the alloy was 16 gauge which the charts say is 1.6 mm. So I would go with Meverett on the 2mm.

Best of luck
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

My Roadster has a split bonnet with end fittings to the body but my 35yr old Locust has a one piece bonnet with a clip that fits under the edge of the nose cone. You put the front on first and push forwards. I have metal overcenter clips(probably non IVA) with 'R' pins or suitcase padlocks to secure them. Why not trad leather strap over the bonnet?

Comment

Even F1 cars lose engine covers, if you are watching the first practice at Spa!
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

A little update on my efforts to replace the bonnet first the hinge now fixed at both ends as it should be IMG_20190907_173632_resized_20190915_075116731.jpgIMG_20190907_173600_resized_20190915_075116009.jpgIMG_20190907_173515_resized_20190915_075116181.jpg

Comment

After spending all day saturday working on the bonnet we had mixed success, the technique was worked out and one half of the bonnet but a with few errors, but we now have a good pattern to use to get it right at the next attempt.
                  IMG_20190914_105850_resized_20190915_075115351.jpgIMG_20190914_104623_resized_20190915_082925566.jpgIMG_20190914_160437_resized_20190915_075115593.jpg

Comment

That’s some awesome work, love proper fabrication!
                    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Respect!

Comment

Working...
                      X