help !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help !!

I've had a bit of a disaster, traveling down the motorway tonight in my Roadster and my bonnet has flown off and is now lost, I walked up the hard shoulder and it's nowhere to been seen, the motorway is closed now for roadworks, and the workers are going to keep an eye out for it, but it's probably damaged beyond repair. so has anyone got any ideas about getting a replacement.

Re: help !!

Any half decent sheet metal fabricator should be capable of manufacturing a new one, taking measurements direct from the car.
    Remember to have small cutouts for the wiper spindles if necessary, it might be the opportunity for having the replacement made with additional louvres.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your bonnet, I had the same problem, I forgot to clip both sides of the bonnet, 50mph it flew over my head and laid bent in the road, luckily no other vehicles around. I had it straightened and strengthened but it was not cheap !!!!!! Later talking to Ernie Warrender who worked for Paul Moorhouse in the early days his job was to make the bonnets on piecework. He riveted several sheets of aluminium together and cut round with a jigsaw in one hand and an oilcan in the other. The centre bend was formed over a piece of angle iron and the outer bends were made by bending over a length of old telephone pole. No two were exactly the same. To prevent my bonnet coming undone again I used to put a piece of copper wire through the holes in the four catches. David.

Comment

Nigel , I saw your excellent teardrop accommodation and Roadster at Stoneleigh so I am really saddened to hear of this mishap.

1)I do recall last year on the forum that there was a Roadster bonnet for sale, has that sold?

2)I also recall Adrian picked up some rear arches , so Adrian was there a bonnet with that ? Does Danny Nelson know of a replacement?

3)Also is this bonnet still available? https://www.marlinownersclub.com/for...nger-side-wing.

4) just a thought if you get stuck locating a replacement, is it worth taking your car to whoever makes the bonnets for cars such as Caterham and Westfield 7's with photos?

David
        Was the oil to keep the jigsaw blade cool whilst cutting aluminium?

Useful to know of the telegraph pole to get the curves.
        Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 28-08-19, 05:24 PM.

Comment

A standard medium duty telegraph pole tapers from 10” to 6” diameter but it varies through their height range, now there is some useless information.
          I recall reading somewhere that the radius of the drop curve was 5” so that ties in quite nicely. But these days it more likely to be a rolled radius, than beaten or bent around a former.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hiya

Answer to question 1, it was me and it was sold, trying to remember who?

Answer to question 2, it was me but no there wasn't a bonnet.

Sorry guys.

Adrian

Originally posted by Ye Ol Ripper View Post
            Nigel , I saw your excellent teardrop accommodation and Roadster at Stoneleigh so am really saddened to hear of this.

1)I do recall last year on the forum that there was a Roadster bonnet for sale, has that sold?

2)I also recall Adrian picked up some rear arches , so Adrian was there a bonnet with that ? Does Danny Nelson know of a replacement?

3)Also is this bonnet still available? https://www.marlinownersclub.com/for...nger-side-wing.

4) just a thought if you get stuck locating a replacement, is it worth taking your car to whoever makes the bonnets for cars such as Caterham and Westfield 7's with photos?

David
            Was the oil to keep the jigsaw blade cool whilst cutting aluminium?

Useful to know of the telegraph pole to get the curves.

Comment

I've been told of a good sheet metal worker local to me, so I think getting a replacement bonnet shouldn't be a problem. But I'm struggling to find a good piano hinge mine was chrome on brass. What ever I do I think my bank account is about to get a hit

Comment

Hi,

Partial answer to question 3 - i recently bought the Marlin owned by dugout. He had a new bonnet made for the car as the original had a hole in it for the carb that became superfluous after an engine change. I’m fairly sure he sold the old one but I can message him to double check if it’s helpful? Regards Tom

Comment

Hi

I got my stainless steel hinge from the Essex Hinge Company.

Around £40.

Any length, any width at reasonable prices.

Do brass, chrome, stainless etc.

Regards

Adrian

Originally posted by nigel_cordrey View Post
                  I've been told of a good sheet metal worker local to me, so I think getting a replacement bonnet shouldn't be a problem. But I'm struggling to find a good piano hinge mine was chrome on brass. What ever I do I think my bank account is about to get a hit
                  Last edited by listerjp2; 28-08-19, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nigel_cordrey View Post
                    I've had a bit of a disaster, traveling down the motorway tonight in my Roadster and my bonnet has flown off and is now lost, I walked up the hard shoulder and it's nowhere to been seen, the motorway is closed now for roadworks, and the workers are going to keep an eye out for it, but it's probably damaged beyond repair. so has anyone got any ideas about getting a replacement.
                    When you get your replacement made, have you considered having it fitted in a manner similar to the Cabrio's whereby each end of the hinge is also secured to the bodywork? That why if a clip comes loose the worst you can anticipate is it flapping up and down a tad. Just a thought, don't know if this a fitment that can be done to a roadster?
                    Last edited by wiggiesworld; 29-08-19, 08:28 AM.
                    2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

That's how mine is fitted and was the standard method in the build Roadster manual.

Comment

You can see mine using a stainless steel hinge from The Essex Hinge Company.

Held together by 42 stainless steel nuts, bolts and washers.

20190828_091218.jpg

Originally posted by h_m_cumming View Post
                        That's how mine is fitted and was the standard method in the build Roadster manual.
                        Last edited by listerjp2; 29-08-19, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Yes the oil was to keep the blade cool. I know that telegraph poles taper, but over a length of approx 5 feet that would not make a lot of difference. I only gave my input as these quotes from people like Ernie Warrender are part of the Marlin history. Several times he has promised to write about his early days with Marlin but nothing has come from his pen at the moment. David.

Comment

I got my pre - drilled stainless hinge from ironmongery direct as well as some alloy angle for the stiffeners. Button head screws etc I already had.
                            I acquired my roadster with a one piece bonnet but because I didn't want to lose it and for roadside convenience I centre hinged it.

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                              Hi

I got my stainless steel hinge from the Essex Hinge Company.

Around £40.

Any length, any width at reasonable prices.

Do brass, chrome, stainless etc.

Regards

Adrian
                              I will have a look thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X