Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: pinto heater

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1 pinto heater 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Hi like some help please, have a 1.6 Pinto in my roadster, the heater in the car will not turn off ok in winter but gets a tad hot in summer, what I want to know can I bypass the heater just join the pipes together will this work? thanks.

2. #2 Re: pinto heater 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Tony Stott's Avatar
    why not put a stop/closure valve in the heater feed pipe?

3. #3 Re: pinto heater 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yousay54 View Post
    Hi like some help please, have a 1.6 Pinto in my roadster, the heater in the car will not turn off ok in winter but gets a tad hot in summer, what I want to know can I bypass the heater just join the pipes together will this work? thanks.
    Thats a useful get you home fix if the heater matrix ever leaks. However as Tony says, why not fit a simple stop valve? Try Car Builder Solutions as a first port of call. Peter.

4. #4 Re: pinto heater 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar

5. #5 Re: pinto heater 
    Be careful that you retain the use of the full volume of water otherwise you may have an overheating problem

6. #6 Re: pinto heater 
    Thanks Dave don't think I can do that I would lose the water volume in the heater as you said, but will try later heater may be ok now weather has changed, thanks to all.

7. #7 Re: pinto heater 
    Quote Originally Posted by dcunn View Post
    Be careful that you retain the use of the full volume of water otherwise you may have an overheating problem
    That should not make any difference - it's all about the flow rate and the cooling in the radiator - losing the extra cooling that you get from the heater may be important if you are marginal but the volume of water only effects the warm-up rate

8. #8 Re: pinto heater 
    You need two valves, one to cut off the flow to the heater and one to maintain the flow that would have gone through the heater to maintain the coolant circulation during warm up till the thermostat opens. The amount of water in the heater is negligible, but the flow path is important.

9. #9 Re: pinto heater 
    Club Member
    My preferred solution is to use a “ford fiesta heater valve”. This valve used on several cars (Fiesta Ka Transit Mazda) it is combined with a temperature control from one of those vehicles to vary the heat. The unit is fitted to the heater flow and return pipes. It allows water to flow to the heater or diverts the back to the engine. The valve is an on/off device either allowing full flow or return. If the control is set to a mid position the unit switches position regularly.

Although it is a bit more work it is a great deal better than having to stop the car and lift the bonnet if the evening cools down.

The ford valves are readily available and relatively cheap. I daresay other valves are available and some cars monitor the cockpit temperature and adjust the flow to maintain the comfort level.

My car is a Cabrio I know some owners will consider this suggestion out of line with the rudimentary simplicity of the Roadster. I’ll be donning a flameproof suit immediately.
    Paul
    Fiesta valve.jpg

10. #10 Re: pinto heater 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member kahawi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by milliemarlin View Post
    I daresay other valves are available and some cars monitor the cockpit temperature and adjust the flow to maintain the comfort level.

I remember working on a Volvo Estate, that had a non-electric version of this that closed off the heater matrix by virtue of an in-cab sensor, a slider controlled the degree of heat allowed into the passenger compartment.

Colin B
    (Encased in Asbestos)
    (2nd Owner of Marlin Hunter, chassis No. 157 (May 1998). Ford-based with 2.3ltr DOHC engine).

Marlin Hunter R500 ULA