pinto heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pinto heater

Hi like some help please, have a 1.6 Pinto in my roadster, the heater in the car will not turn off ok in winter but gets a tad hot in summer, what I want to know can I bypass the heater just join the pipes together will this work? thanks.

Re: pinto heater

why not put a stop/closure valve in the heater feed pipe?

Comment

Originally posted by yousay54 View Post
      Hi like some help please, have a 1.6 Pinto in my roadster, the heater in the car will not turn off ok in winter but gets a tad hot in summer, what I want to know can I bypass the heater just join the pipes together will this work? thanks.
      Thats a useful get you home fix if the heater matrix ever leaks. However as Tony says, why not fit a simple stop valve? Try Car Builder Solutions as a first port of call. Peter.

Comment

Links here:-

Like this for 5/8” pipe
        https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...8-heater-valve
        Or for 1/2” pipe
        https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...2-heater-valve
        Peter.

Comment

Be careful that you retain the use of the full volume of water otherwise you may have an overheating problem

Comment

Thanks Dave don't think I can do that I would lose the water volume in the heater as you said, but will try later heater may be ok now weather has changed, thanks to all.

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
              Be careful that you retain the use of the full volume of water otherwise you may have an overheating problem
              That should not make any difference - it's all about the flow rate and the cooling in the radiator - losing the extra cooling that you get from the heater may be important if you are marginal but the volume of water only effects the warm-up rate

Comment

You need two valves, one to cut off the flow to the heater and one to maintain the flow that would have gone through the heater to maintain the coolant circulation during warm up till the thermostat opens. The amount of water in the heater is negligible, but the flow path is important.

Comment

My preferred solution is to use a “ford fiesta heater valve”. This valve used on several cars (Fiesta Ka Transit Mazda) it is combined with a temperature control from one of those vehicles to vary the heat. The unit is fitted to the heater flow and return pipes. It allows water to flow to the heater or diverts the back to the engine. The valve is an on/off device either allowing full flow or return. If the control is set to a mid position the unit switches position regularly.

Although it is a bit more work it is a great deal better than having to stop the car and lift the bonnet if the evening cools down.

The ford valves are readily available and relatively cheap. I daresay other valves are available and some cars monitor the cockpit temperature and adjust the flow to maintain the comfort level.

My car is a Cabrio I know some owners will consider this suggestion out of line with the rudimentary simplicity of the Roadster. I’ll be donning a flameproof suit immediately.
                  Paul
                  Fiesta valve.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by milliemarlin View Post
                    I daresay other valves are available and some cars monitor the cockpit temperature and adjust the flow to maintain the comfort level.

I remember working on a Volvo Estate, that had a non-electric version of this that closed off the heater matrix by virtue of an in-cab sensor, a slider controlled the degree of heat allowed into the passenger compartment.

Colin B
                    (Encased in Asbestos)
                    Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Comment

Keeping it simple, I suppose the electric valve could be controlled by just a switch, so being either fully open or fully shut, but it wouldn't be a whistle and bells job!

Comment

Or you could use one of these which is what I have on a T7 heater matrix.

Since 2009, T7Design have grown to be a key brand in offering thermal solutions, efficiency and performance products to the Motorsport and Automotive industry. Alongside our own ever-expanding brand of Honda K-Series performance parts and a variety of both water fed and completely electric lightweight Heaters, we stock some of the worlds leading Automotive brands. A selection of engineering services can be provided to assist you with your ongoing projects such as 3D Scanning, 3D Printing and CAD Design. Whether you require a bespoke heater, fuel fittings, technical support or even a single titanium bolt - we have you covered.

Ebay item 192279138616

Adrian

Originally posted by Tony Stott View Post
                        Keeping it simple, I suppose the electric valve could be controlled by just a switch, so being either fully open or fully shut, but it wouldn't be a whistle and bells job!

Comment

Hi my new silicone hose has arrived what I will do now is put new pipe from water pump to inlet manifold, leave the heater in the car just bypass and try to find out why it wont turn off, thanks for all the help,

Comment

Originally posted by yousay54 View Post
                            Hi my new silicone hose has arrived what I will do now is put new pipe from water pump to inlet manifold, leave the heater in the car just bypass and try to find out why it wont turn off, thanks for all the help,
                            Include a picture of the heater it might help us diagnose why it will not turn off.
                            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Hi I have left the heater in the car just bypass it have a look at a later date or get a new classic mini unit, thanks. don't know how to put a photo on? perhaps someone will help, thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X