Berli/Cortina Ignition Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berli/Cortina Ignition Switch

I've been having a spot of bother with the ignition barrel on the car; essentially it's getting worn out.
    The switch end seems OK, but the key is getting harder and harder to insert correctly, to both turn and to push in release the steering lock. Actually the barrel is pushing in too soon and preventing the key from being inserted far enough for all the tumblers to disengage.

From what I can make out, the whole part is common to Mk3 Cortina, and Mk1 Capri, and little else. That being housing, switch and key/barrel assembly as one unit.
    Does anyone know what else they were used on, or a source for a replacement.

I don't have a parts book to look up the genuine Ford number; Is anyone able to assist please?

Also, if I do find one, or just the key/barrel, does anyone know how to release the old barrel without wrecking the housing?

I suspect that the actual barrel/key assembly might be common to other models, but no idea which ones.

Thanks
    Best Wishes
    Bill Williams
    Berlinetta

[/COLOR]Click here for The nearest thing I have to a home page

Re: Berli/Cortina Ignition Switch

This has a diagram for Ford Taunus/Cortina (1970-1975) but does not list the parts for some reason.

Not a great deal of help.
    Paul

Comment

The answer would seem to be that there's at least two types; unfortunately it looks like mine is the earlier and harder to find one, rather than the one from ebay which I was assured was correct.
      Mine's the one on the left with the roll pin to hold it all together, and is held in place by a curved spring, rather than a brass detent pin.
      Note also the smaller boss at the inner end.

P9230453_DxO-small.jpg P9230455_DxO-small.jpg
      P9230456_DxO-small.jpg P9230457_DxO-small.jpg

If anyone has one in their "ready for the tip/disposal" box, I could find it a home, even if it's broken, as I could work on refurbishing it whilst still keeping the car on the road.
      Quite happy to buy one of anybody knows a source.

I think it's Mk3 Cortina/Capri and Taunus spec.

Thanks
      Best Wishes
      Bill Williams
      Berlinetta

Comment

Hi, I had a similar problem. The key wouldn't insert properly. A squirt of ACF50 into the key slot followed by wiggling the key in and out of the slot soon freed the tumblers. The keys work fine now.
        Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

I guess WD40 may work too.
          Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Cheers for that, but it's well lubricated; I think it's down to wear really, If I stripped it, I could likely replace the spring inside, which holds the barrel out until the key is fully inserted.
            I'd prefer to do that on a spare lock though as I don't want to risk disabling the car.
            Best Wishes
            Bill Williams
            Berlinetta

Comment

Working...
            X