cycle rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cycle rack

A little project I've been working on, when on weekends away with the tear drop, I also wanted to take the bike, so how can you tow and carry a bike with a Roadster?
    IMG_20190721_140055_resized_20190917_092856213.jpgIMG_20190721_140104_resized_20190917_092856897.jpgIMG_20190721_140542_resized_20190917_092856611.jpg
    BINGO
    IMG_20190721_140116_resized_20190917_092857121.jpg
    Last edited by nigel_cordrey; 17-09-19, 08:49 PM.

Re: cycle rack

It looks good.

But is it legal?
    It looks like the derailleur might obstruct the nearside light cluster, requiring a separate lighting board.
    Technically a load, must not protrude more than 305mm from the vehicle bodywork, it looks a little marginal in your pictures.

Sorry to put a damper on your project.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

A note to those who respond to a thread, and then decide to delete it, for whatever reason.

Those who have responded, and thus automatically have subscribed to a thread, simply by adding a comment, can get email notifications of any future response, even though it is subsequently deleted

Even though it appears as a deleted comment to others on the forum. Subscribers still know exactly what has been deleted.

The lesson is, think before you type and finally press the enter key, and hopefully not regret it mere minutes later.

It’s pretty standard on many forums!
      MOC member since 05/97
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Nigel will also be towing the teardrop so that will have the light board.
        Just measured my bike and it’s 69” in old money, the overall width of my roadster is 61” ish so a 4” overhang each side is well in.
        It’s probably down to how it looks in the pics, looks good Nigel.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
          A note to those who respond to a thread, and then decide to delete it, for whatever reason.

Those who have responded, and thus automatically have subscribed to a thread, simply by adding a comment, can get email notifications of any future response, even though it is subsequently deleted

Even though it appears as a deleted comment to others on the forum. Subscribers still know exactly what has been deleted.

The lesson is, think before you type and finally press the enter key, and hopefully not regret it mere minutes later.

It’s pretty standard on many forums!
          its was me and the only reason I deleted it is was posting it on lunch break using my phone and for some reason it posted just word of my whole post "standard". and I run out of time to retype it.
          Last edited by nigel_cordrey; 18-09-19, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by meverett View Post
            Nigel will also be towing the teardrop so that will have the light board.
            Just measured my bike and it’s 69” in old money, the overall width of my roadster is 61” ish so a 4” overhang each side is well in.
            It’s probably down to how it looks in the pics, looks good Nigel.
            I thought it looked good, as I said.

I thought it was worth pointing out the law, not knowing exactly how it would be configured on every combination of journey possible, Not necessarily towing a teardrop on every possibility.

All you need is one jobsworth plod to decide that it looks dodgy and it ruins a pleasant day out.
            It’s always better to be prepared with a little knowledge, just in case interesting questions get asked.

If standards can be applied, it’s best to work within them, wherever possible, that’s all I was suggesting, nothing more, nothing less. Many readers may be totally unaware of the legislation, and think that mounting a tandem or recumbent in a similar manner, with no teardrop, may be perfectly legal!
            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I didn’t know that the maximum overhang is 305mm and it’s good to know.
              I am (in the past) guilty of towing a trailer with no light board and having bikes on the back with slight obstruction to the lights but luckily didn’t get stopped, all short distances though, still stupid ideas of mine with no excuses I know.

Comment

It's an optical illusion the bike is only 130mm longer than the Marlin is wide . this would be no different to putting it on the back of my standard car.
                plus I will be towing so no lighting issues, and if i'm not I will use a lighting board. plus I don't care if it ilegal

thinking about it to be 610mm longer than the car is wide it would have to be a tandem lol.

Comment

Just take the front wheel off and move the bike over.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
                    Just take the front wheel off and move the bike over.
                    There is no legal maximum height, but obviously a very practical limit.

So with a tandem, it would be possible to stand it on its back wheel. You would probably need to secure the handlebars otherwise it might be classified as an unsafe load.
                    MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Or just get the proper thing, safe, secure & legal
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cdow View Post
                        Or just get the proper thing, safe, secure & legal
                        That's a nice looking roadster. Lots of nice touches.
                        Last edited by wiggiesworld; 24-01-20, 04:27 PM.
                        2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Thank you :-)

Comment

We have a tandem. I love the idea of standing an 8' long bike on end. Until you try to drive into Tesco!

Comment

Just another point not about the bike being legal just noticed the Q plated car on black and silver plates which I am sure is not legal?

Comment

Working...
                              X