Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Identifying parts ...

Originally posted by marlin1984 View Post
    Are you sure Estimated Time of Arrival is from Apollo ? Sounds more like B.R.
    Probably, only in my mind. I learnt a stack of acronyms watching the Apollo launches as a young teenager. I learned a whole lot more working for IBM (It’s Better Manually). Almost all have been recycled a few times LOL (Laugh Out Loud not Lots Of Love). ETA in context was pretty obvious once I knew.

PC (Paul Carey not Personal Computer, Printed Circuit, Police Constable, etc, etc...)

PS: I did design Printed Circuits for Personal Computers for a while and was confronted by an engineer who complained some idiot had initialled a drawing PC.

Comment

So far as I am concerned ETA is Estimated Time of Arrival particularly in Spain.

An email arrives almost immediately, or maybe the next day, manãna.
      Express Delivery, 3 Days, Especially if you are friends with the delivery drivers,
      Parcel Delivery, 2 Weeks (allegedly tracked, but not after it leaves UK shores) Often stuck in Madrid airport for random reasons.
      Post from HMRC, at best, 3 weeks. Probably because they post via PostNL.
      Incidentally my Pension payment is processed by a U.K. Bank!

But back to the topic, most parts in the U.K. arrive pretty promptly from my experience, but I am always wary of excessive postal and packaging charges. When unsure always check the returns policy, if the item is not as described, certainly if the buyer pays. Always buy via credit card, Not Debit card, at least then your purchase has extra protection. Finally, from my experience, and if you follow PayPal rules (or eBay which are remarkably similar) they are exemplary, on the few occasions that I have had an issue, it been dealt with promptly and efficiently.

On wiring, Didn’t Listerjp2 share a link a month or two ago. I can’t find it now!
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by milliemarlin View Post
        Probably, only in my mind. I learnt a stack of acronyms watching the Apollo launches as a young teenager. I learned a whole lot more working for IBM (It’s Better Manually). Almost all have been recycled a few times LOL (Laugh Out Loud not Lots Of Love). ETA in context was pretty obvious once I knew.

PC (Paul Carey not Personal Computer, Printed Circuit, Police Constable, etc, etc...)

PS: I did design Printed Circuits for Personal Computers for a while and was confronted by an engineer who complained some idiot had initialled a drawing PC.
        Well there's a coincidence. I also worked for IBM in London. My two favourites were GIGO and the stores chap showing me an American note that stated "Parts are in a negative supply situation."

ATB

Comment

[QUOTE=stevejgreen;51441]So far as I am concerned ETA is Estimated Time of Arrival particularly in Spain.

An email arrives almost immediately, or maybe the next day, manãna.]

Just remember the Irish comment re that word - the Irishman was asked by a Spanish visitor if there was a Gaelic equivalent - to which the Irishman replied "Sure - we have several but none of them conveys quite the same sense of urgency".
          Last edited by marlin1984; 22-09-19, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Should have said - Steve was as ever correct - bottom bush [under the 'bodgers' tape] WAS felt not plastic. I confess to putting it back as it worked perfectly …

Postage charge WAS excessive for a virtually weightless part so Minispares would have been significantly cheaper … [ new one looked Chinese and definitely did NOT have "Cam Gears" on it … ]

Comment

Should have said - Steve was as ever correct - bottom bush [under the 'bodgers' tape] WAS felt not plastic. I confess to putting it back as it worked perfectly …

Postage charge WAS excessive for a virtually weightless part so Minispares would have been significantly cheaper … [ new one looked Chinese and definitely did NOT have "Cam Gears" on it … ]
              Job’s a good one!

When I order items for delivery to Spain, certainly when using eBay, I do try to talk to the vendor and negotiate a price rather than just agree to their estimate.
              A friend runs a mailing house and regularly delivers to Spain, I can make use of his services, essentially for free, so only pay UK postage.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Certainly the steering column is now 100% 'play-free'.
                Still sorting the bodged ex-Marina wiring loom though. Am fitting a 10 blade fuse box and removing cut wires that used to serve things like interior lights ...

(My stepson lives in Alicante. He has had huge problems with English solicitors assuming there is door-to-door delivery throughout Spain as per the UK - rather than a postbox in the nearest town )
                Last edited by marlin1984; 19-10-19, 08:53 AM.

Comment

(My stepson lives in Alicante. He has had huge problems with English solicitors assuming there is door-to-door delivery throughout Spain as per the UK - rather than a postbox in the nearest town )
                  In Alicante province, I know my post girl, she not only knows where I live, but where I am likely to be found, locally, and as she recognises my three modes of transport, does not necessarily abide by the to the door service.
                  A courier I have used from UK to Spain has been Dpd pretty economic and reliable.
                  MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                  X