This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin Roadster (Marina Based) Steering Rack Redux

Published and updated in the Marina Owners Club Magazine by Chris Weedon September 2019

Hopefully it helps some Roadster owners.

Once again, do not trust alleged rebuilt racks from eBay or others. There is sparse evidence that they even bother to replace the bush in question.

Here or there

There may be an error in Chris’s text regarding the quantity of oil to refill.
    From an empty, dry rack it should be filled with 1/2 pint or 190ml. Overfilling should be avoided.
    Last edited by stevejgreen; 03-10-19, 10:39 AM.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Re: Marlin Roadster (Marina Based) Steering Rack Redux

Hi Steve, I cannot access your keep and share account. If this is an update on the rack rebuild I would love to read it as I have an old rack awaiting rebuild. I already have the nylon Bush from Chris and new bellows.

Derek
    Stumbling around in the dark
    Marina based SWB roadster
    Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

I also have a rack that needs a strip down. Just waiting for keep&share to reopen my account to have a read.
      Where did you get the bush and bellows required for a rebuild from?

Comment

There must be quite a few 'racks' around then, I too have one in the garage awaiting those long winter evenings for a strip down and check!

p.s. I'm off to Auz with a bit of luggage space to spare, how many would be interested if I could arrange to 'import' a quantity of said bushes ? I believe there were also the track-rod 'inboard' end caps available from this source, if someone could point me at some more info I'll see what I can find.
        Last edited by kahawi; 01-10-19, 10:19 AM. Reason: added comment about importing bushes
        Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Marlin View Post
          Hi Steve, I cannot access your keep and share account. If this is an update on the rack rebuild I would love to read it as I have an old rack awaiting rebuild. I already have the nylon Bush from Chris and new bellows.

Derek
          To use Keepandshare you have to be registered with them, follow the explanation available from the link in my forum signature.

If you do not use the account for a year, they suspend your account. I understood that they sent a single warning email but that could end up in your spam folder. It looks like meverett could be the person to ask.

There are many documents there, occasionally updated as new information appears. The download rate is between 1500 and 2000 a month, clearly people find it useful.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Originally posted by kahawi View Post
            There must be quite a few 'racks' around then, I too have one in the garage awaiting those long winter evenings for a strip down and check!

p.s. I'm off to Auz with a bit of luggage space to spare, how many would be interested if I could arrange to 'import' a quantity of said bushes ? I believe there were also the track-rod 'inboard' end caps available from this source, if someone could point me at some more info I'll see what I can find.
            A great deal of time and effort went into investigation and sourcing the bushes, and more importantly in producing the instructions, for the benefit of Morris Marina, Marlin Roadster owners and the broader community that use Marina racks. Very little profit is made, and that ends up in the Morris Marina, the biggest consumers, owners club funds and enables other projects.

It seems a little opportunistic and discourteous to those who put in the original effort, to attempt undercut them unless you can enhance the existing instructions significantly.
            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I agree with Steve on this point to some degree.

Chris Weedon has always tried to be as helpful as possible when I've contacted him regarding my Marina based Roadster.

Just a thought on this.
              How about offering to support Chris Weedon, who has supported us and offer to bring back some parts for him to sell on to both us and other Marina Owners?

There is a chance that in particular his steering bush stock levels may need replenishing.

Comment

great idea!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ye Ol Ripper View Post
                  I agree with Steve on this point to some degree.

Chris Weedon has always tried to be as helpful as possible when I've contacted him regarding my Marina based Roadster.

Just a thought on this.
                  How about offering to support Chris Weedon, who has supported us and offer to bring back some parts for him to sell on to both us and other Marina Owners?

There is a chance that in particular his steering bush stock levels may need replenishing.
                  Maybe I was a bit harsh, but Chris Weedon does put a great deal of work into the community and deserves broader recognition.

As I understand it Chris has set up a deal with a UK intermediary reducing the postage/import costs significantly, but that is a great suggestion, to collaborate with other interested groups, something I have championed previously, especially the Marina Owners Club of which I am also a member.

It’s notable that the Marlin enthusiasts Facebook group has also picked this up recently, maybe it will reach even more people.
                  MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I think this topic has run its course, there is sufficient info in the public domain.
                    MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                    X