Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ref. Triumph Gearbox and Overdrive problems

Hi All
    I managed to separate gearbox and overdrive and found that drive shaft at rear of overdrive would now turn both ways. so assumed problem must be in the gearbox. Stripped it down and found second gear top hat bearing had siezed and caused a thrust washer to break into 16 pieces. Upon inspection found all other parts in very good condition so replaced washer and bearing, rebuilt gearbox and fitted overdrive but found original drive shaft problem still there (ie. only able to turn one way). I have never worked on an overdrive before but realised my ancient manual has exploded view of gearbox and overdrive, together with instructions, so then started to dismantle overdrive and found cone clutch stuck to brake clutch ring and one thrust washer cracked. Again everthing else looked in good condition. The propshaft problem was probably there when I bought the car because the propshaft was not fitted, which meant you would not be able to move the car backwards. All is working fine now.
    Thanks again to everyone that supplied input.
    Barry

Re: Ref. Triumph Gearbox and Overdrive problems

I’m guessing that the propshaft had been removed in order to move the car, because it had a myriad of issues that were beyond the previous owner’s skill set and wallet!
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
    X