Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: IVA Vin Number

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1 IVA Vin Number 
    regular forum contributor Club Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    17
    I note that the IVA Requires the vin number to be on the right hand side of the car . Marlin have constructed my Cabrio with the stamped vin number on the left hand side . I wonder if anyone has had a similar problem and what the reaction from the inspector was to this ??
    Many thanks
    Nigel
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2 Re: IVA Vin Number 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Rugby
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelBush View Post
    I note that the IVA Requires the vin number to be on the right hand side of the car . Marlin have constructed my Cabrio with the stamped vin number on the left hand side . I wonder if anyone has had a similar problem and what the reaction from the inspector was to this ??
    Many thanks
    Nigel
    My daily driver (Mini Cooper S) has the VIN on the LHS of the windscreen, as did my previous car. News to me that the IVA would insist that the VIN is on the RHS, kind of doesn't seem consistent, and if there's one thing the DVLA etc like is consistency. What doc is it that is stating this? Is it not just being a guideline?
    2000 Marlin Cabrio; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

    http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3 Re: IVA Vin Number 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    963
    Is this when viewed from inside the car as in the driving seat or stood in front looking at the car?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4 Re: IVA Vin Number 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Rugby
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by danny_nelson View Post
    Is this when viewed from inside the car as in the driving seat or stood in front looking at the car?
    Good question, perhaps I should have said nearside or kerbside. LHS when sat in car.
    2000 Marlin Cabrio; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

    http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5 Re: IVA Vin Number 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member chris_cussen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Somerset
    Posts
    517
    One of my IVA failures was the VIN was on the near(passanger) side and split over two lines.
    The tester commented the rule was stupid as many production cars have the VIN number in other locations, but have to conform to a different set of rules. He told me there was even one model of car (I forget which) that had the VIN in the boot.
    To clarify the earlier posts the VIN number should be on the RHS (Driver's) side.
    Cabrio, Omex 2.0l 150bhp Zetec blacktop, Omex ECU and wiring loom.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6 Re: IVA Vin Number 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_cussen View Post
    One of my IVA failures was the VIN was on the near(passanger) side and split over two lines.
    The tester commented the rule was stupid as many production cars have the VIN number in other locations, but have to conform to a different set of rules. He told me there was even one model of car (I forget which) that had the VIN in the boot.
    To clarify the earlier posts the VIN number should be on the RHS (Driver's) side.

    That seems odd. The vin number on my Hunter is on the near side (next to the kerb) in the UK. My old Audi has the VIN number on the same kerb side visible through the windscreen. I wonder if the confusion has occurred because the person writing the rules has forgotten that the drivers side is different across the Channel?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7 Re: IVA Vin Number 
    regular forum contributor Club Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    17
    Many thANKS
    N
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8 Re: IVA Vin Number 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member chris_cussen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Somerset
    Posts
    517
    IVA manual (search online for the latest) states in section 18 Statutory Plates
    7.The Stamped in VIN must be marked on the chassis, frame or other similar structure which is not easily removable,on the right hand side of the vehicle when viewed from the rear. (see Notes 6, 8, 9and 12)
    BTW its worth going through the whole IVA manual and checking you conform to avoid silly failures. Here is a link to the latest https://assets.publishing.service.go...r-vehicles.pdf
    Cabrio, Omex 2.0l 150bhp Zetec blacktop, Omex ECU and wiring loom.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •