Unfinished Cabrio for Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfinished Cabrio for Sale

I've been approached by a gent with an unfinished Roadster for sale.
    I haven't seen it but the pictures he's sent me show a Sierra-based YKC roadster.
    The seller, who by his own admission knows little about cars (it was to be a father-son project) says the engine is a reconditioned 2.0 Sierra engine. He acquired the unfinished kit from a friend who had lost the impetus to complete it.

Currently a rolling chassis, all panels and trim to complete (seats need upholstering), along with various other new parts, are said to be present.

Vehicle is located in Shrewsbury and ideally needs to be gone in the next 4 weeks due to loss of storage.

Price to be negotiated between buyer & seller...I'm not going to mention a figure here but happy to give any genuinely interested parties a steer offline.

If anyone is interested PM me for the sellers contact details.

[ATTACH]11371[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11372[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11373[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11374[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11375[/ATTACH]
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Re: Unfinished Roadster for Sale

Don't I just wish I had the space! Great project and could potentially be on the road for next summer.

Comment

Looking more closely at the photos, the doors suggest this might in fact be a Cabrio kit. I will try and inspect in the coming days to determine for sure.
      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Yep, your right, it is a Cabrio.

Adrian

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
        Looking more closely at the photos, the doors suggest this might in fact be a Cabrio kit. I will try and inspect in the coming days to determine for sure.

Comment

Typical, I own a Cabrio and still hadn't spotted that. Must confess, as its a Cabrio, I'd definitely be interested in finding out exactly what price he's thinking of. I have been planning major work with mine, nothing wrong with it just fancied making it have more of my own input, but if this is available at a reasonable price then I'd be tempted to sell mine and then commence with this.
          2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

I would guess it is an early kit with the earlier front suspension towers, as in these pics
            Attached Files

Comment

The front suspension seems to be small coilover struts which was a YKC feature, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by scott h View Post
                The front suspension seems to be small coilover struts which was a YKC feature, I think.
                I’ve never noticed the featured suspension elements through the inner wings before!
                If it were mine, I would be looking to fabricate a polished stainless/chrome strut brace to make it a real feature of the car, because unusually for a Marlin, what I am seeing is a bit of poor design work.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                  I’ve never noticed the featured suspension elements through the inner wings before!
                  If it were mine, I would be looking to fabricate a polished stainless/chrome strut brace to make it a real feature of the car, because unusually for a Marlin, what I am seeing is a bit of poor design work.
                  From memory Marlin never had this design on any of their cars. That would make this car a YKC Sierra based Roadster, because YKC did not manufacture Cabrios. If memory serves of course, which can be a big if sometimes!

Comment

I seem to recall that the very first Cabrios had this option but it was very quickly replaced with the mini strut that we are familiar with for obvious reasons. No idea how many of the early design were produced but I suspect it was very few. I'm sure I read an article somewhere long ago that gave potential buyers the option of one or the other.

Comment

Scott - you are correct in that YKC didn't manufacture any Cabrio's.
                      The giveaway are the doors which feature support at the 'A' pillar for the window glass together with the scuttle moulding which incorporates the ducting for the demist vents.
                      Can just about make out the rear suspension set up which appears to be Sierra based rather than the 'De Dion' based layout of the later YKC Roadster cars.
                      My understanding is that this front suspension set up was only on some early Cabrio's offered by Marlin under Paul Moorhouses ownership and not on those Cabrio's by Mark and Terry, but I could be wrong on that point. Either way, a early kit it is.

Comment

The first Cabrio models had the Marlin manufactured wishbones, then during Mark and Terrys time this YKC strut type suspension was produced, and a choice was available. Later only the original type was offered. However I believe the strut worked well. so just cosmetic to deal with, if reqd.

Comment

Not forgetting that Javelin Sportscars tried to market what was I believe was a Mk3 BMW based Cabrio.

Does this indicate that the Mk1’s were Sierra based with the exposed strut design, Mk2’s Sierra based with an integral strut, with Mk3’s BMW based with Mk2 bodywork?

I think they only built one BMW based car themselves, but did they actually sell any kits before they ceased trading?

Does anyone have any clear information that reconciles the three different versions, complete with dates?
                          MOC member since 05/97
                          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

No There are no mk1, 2, or 3s in Cabrio models. There are Sierra based SWB and Sierra based LWB models. of these some SWB cars were fitted with the strut. however this design was available as well as the Marlin manufactured top wishbone design and at the same time. They did not stop production of the one and switch to the other. The choice was available. I do not know of this design ever being used on a LWB model. Marlin were working on an all BMW running gear option for the Cabrio when Dave Kitson took on the Cabrio (Javelin) I believe he produced the only all BMW running gear and drive train car (the only one) but perhaps Dave can confirm this. The above applies only to the Cabrio/Hunter model. not the Sportster range. Then there is the one Makaria double wishbone front suspension, and then the Squire is another story.

Comment

Originally posted by danny_nelson View Post
                              No There are no mk1, 2, or 3s in Cabrio models. There are Sierra based SWB and Sierra based LWB models. of these some SWB cars were fitted with the strut. however this design was available as well as the Marlin manufactured top wishbone design and at the same time. They did not stop production of the one and switch to the other. The choice was available. I do not know of this design ever being used on a LWB model. Marlin were working on an all BMW running gear option for the Cabrio when Dave Kitson took on the Cabrio (Javelin) I believe he produced the only all BMW running gear and drive train car (the only one) but perhaps Dave can confirm this. The above applies only to the Cabrio/Hunter model. not the Sportster range. Then there is the one Makaria double wishbone front suspension, and then the Squire is another story.
                              I learn something new every day!
                              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                              X