Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Unfinished Cabrio for Sale

frequent forum contributor Club Member

Re: Unfinished Roadster for Sale

Scott - you are correct in that YKC didn't manufacture any Cabrio's.
    The giveaway are the doors which feature support at the 'A' pillar for the window glass together with the scuttle moulding which incorporates the ducting for the demist vents.
    Can just about make out the rear suspension set up which appears to be Sierra based rather than the 'De Dion' based layout of the later YKC Roadster cars.
    My understanding is that this front suspension set up was only on some early Cabrio's offered by Marlin under Paul Moorhouses ownership and not on those Cabrio's by Mark and Terry, but I could be wrong on that point. Either way, a early kit it is.

The first Cabrio models had the Marlin manufactured wishbones, then during Mark and Terrys time this YKC strut type suspension was produced, and a choice was available. Later only the original type was offered. However I believe the strut worked well. so just cosmetic to deal with, if reqd.

frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar

Not forgetting that Javelin Sportscars tried to market what was I believe was a Mk3 BMW based Cabrio.

Does this indicate that the Mk1’s were Sierra based with the exposed strut design, Mk2’s Sierra based with an integral strut, with Mk3’s BMW based with Mk2 bodywork?

I think they only built one BMW based car themselves, but did they actually sell any kits before they ceased trading?

Does anyone have any clear information that reconciles the three different versions, complete with dates?
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

No There are no mk1, 2, or 3s in Cabrio models. There are Sierra based SWB and Sierra based LWB models. of these some SWB cars were fitted with the strut. however this design was available as well as the Marlin manufactured top wishbone design and at the same time. They did not stop production of the one and switch to the other. The choice was available. I do not know of this design ever being used on a LWB model. Marlin were working on an all BMW running gear option for the Cabrio when Dave Kitson took on the Cabrio (Javelin) I believe he produced the only all BMW running gear and drive train car (the only one) but perhaps Dave can confirm this. The above applies only to the Cabrio/Hunter model. not the Sportster range. Then there is the one Makaria double wishbone front suspension, and then the Squire is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by danny_nelson View Post
    No There are no mk1, 2, or 3s in Cabrio models. There are Sierra based SWB and Sierra based LWB models. of these some SWB cars were fitted with the strut. however this design was available as well as the Marlin manufactured top wishbone design and at the same time. They did not stop production of the one and switch to the other. The choice was available. I do not know of this design ever being used on a LWB model. Marlin were working on an all BMW running gear option for the Cabrio when Dave Kitson took on the Cabrio (Javelin) I believe he produced the only all BMW running gear and drive train car (the only one) but perhaps Dave can confirm this. The above applies only to the Cabrio/Hunter model. not the Sportster range. Then there is the one Makaria double wishbone front suspension, and then the Squire is another story.
    I learn something new every day!
    MOC member since 05/97
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

I knew I had read it somewhere, OK it’s not a Marlin site but http://www.javelinsportscars.co.uk/s...o_info_pk1.htm
    MOC member since 05/97

Yes indeed, Dave Kitsons words.but no matter I guess you can refer to the model range in any way you may choose.

Thanks Danny for clearing it up. I had always thought the Cabrio' s with strut suspension were under Pauls ownership.

I've been and had a look at what's there and it's definitely a Cabrio...looks like a SWB.
    2.0 8v EFI, said to have been rebuilt and not run since along with the donor engine loom & ECU. Donor was an F (1988) reg Sierra, showing as untaxed on DVLA
    All panels to complete plus a whole host of other parts, e.g. chrome headlights, loom, walnut dash, luggage rack, new stereo, tinted glass, stainless exhaust system, various donor parts etc (too much to inspect & document)...looks like someone acquired all the parts they needed then lost interest.

Current owner had it stored in a barn for a while so sadly there is some rust evident on the engine, suspension and chassis. If it doesn't sell it's likely to end up back in a barn or parted out.
    Car presently located in Shrewsbury...the owner can arrange transport of the vehicle if required.

Please PM me if you are interested and I can pass on the owners details.
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

This is another thread whose title needs changing.
    it can be done by the OP! No need for admin.
    MOC member since 05/97