Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Dodgy wiring ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Dodgy wiring ... 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marlin1984 View Post
    David

May be 'fun' to you - but it all seems like silly and rather pointless work to me!
    I have better things to do than putting right multiple wiring horrors. Risk of fire not to be sniffed at ? (excuse the pun)

Stick with the Joe Lucas colours (I have wired two cars from scratch and they both worked ) and you won't have escaping smoke.

Interesting to read that others have found very similar.

Still reckon Marlin is a great car though.

wiggiesworld > "immobiliser " ... now that IS posh. (My other car - an HRG worth rather more than a Marlin - just has a well hidden pull-switch that breaks the ignition circuit and I do not plan to change it as it has worked since around 1948.)
    I don't seem to have a great deal of luck with immobilisers per se. I sold another toy in February, a 96 TVR Chimaera 4L, lovely car, had it over 8 years and had great fun touring with it but the immobiliser use to drive me to such despair that when touring abroad I would often just leave it open as I could never guarantee being able to ever get back in if I set the immobiliser on.

Not kit related but to show that kit cars are not the only ones plagued by wiring woes. Back in the late 80's onward's I lived in Bahrain and whilst there traded my existing car for what was then a new-ish Mitsubishi Lancer. As my old car had a great cassette (remember them?) radio, I decided to swop it to the Mitsu. Pulled the old radio out to find it was fed by three wires all a mauve colour........ It also didn't quite match the wiring of my old car but I worked it out..... or so I thought!

A few days later and I'm driving home with the family from the capital (Manama) with the radio on. Its getting dusk so I put the lights on..... the radio goes off. Hm, I turn the lights off and the radio comes back on. Ah well, at least I have a choice. I sold the car like that years later and the next owner also didn't seem that fussed about it (yes I did tell him). Mind you I always made sure the radio was off when it went for its yearly government check.
    2000 Marlin Cabrio; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

2. #12 Re: Dodgy wiring ... 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member b_caswell's Avatar
    My neighbor has an almost new Mercedes and noticed that sometimes the rear door didn't lock
    so back it went to the dealers. First trip failed to cure the problem so they then had the car
    for over a week, They replaced the lock servo and door switch and returned the car.

Following morning the same fault occurred and back went the car to the same dealer. Several attempts
    to lock the car failed.

Now there was half the workshop staff and managers all looking into the problem
    and standing around the car when the owners son pointed out that the multi pin
    connector on the rear door seemed to be at an odd angle.

Yes you've got it the plug just needed being pushed fully home.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

3. #13 Re: Dodgy wiring ... 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Bad connections are very different from having to trace wires that change colours because someone was lazy.
    I have a problem with my Mercedes. At the hottest time of year it’s erratic, now when I have UK temperatures, it’s fine.
    it will be interesting to see if my Discovery suffers the same or similar issues.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

4. #14 Re: Dodgy wiring ... 
    Younger brother once owned a road-going Cannon trials car. It was OK except every wire was yellow !

My re-wires and rectification are all done using salvaged and FREE multi-coloured wires from, typically, a Range Rover and a Kawasaki. As long as the PVC is still flexible and the wires are copper coloured [rather than black !] they work well … and yes, I have Scottish ancestry !
    Last edited by marlin1984; 30-10-2019 at 11:13 PM.

5. #15 Re: Dodgy wiring ... 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member chris_cussen's Avatar
    Our Mondeo was fine unless the temprature was sub-zero. Then when the ignition was turned on the engine fan would come on and it wouldn't start. By the time any AA home start turned up it was above zero and it would start first time. Finally traced it to a dodgy connection to the temperature sensor, so the ECU thought the engine was hot when it was really cold.
    Cabrio, Omex 2.0l 150bhp Zetec blacktop, Omex ECU and wiring loom.

6. #16 Re: Dodgy wiring ... 
    Only mod. I plan to do shortly is to fit an inertia switch (probably ex-Peugeot) to the SU fuel pump wire for safety's sake.

That is when I change the yellow wire to the correct white.
    [and just found the earth wire from the wiper instead of being black has been spliced [by a PO] to light purple wire ...

7. #17 Re: Dodgy wiring ... 
    Have a look at this thread I posted some time back, might help.
    https://www.marlinownersclub.com/for...inertia+switch

8. #18 Re: Dodgy wiring ... 
    Excellent, I believed that I was having a vaporizing problem with the mech pump on my1800TC so I fitted a SU I had kicking around by the wiper motor. It does vapourize in hot slow traffic so maybe a facet would be good and the SU can go back in my Landrover spares box.

9. #19 Re: Dodgy wiring ... 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member chris_cussen's Avatar
    Loads of inertia switches on eBay
    Cabrio, Omex 2.0l 150bhp Zetec blacktop, Omex ECU and wiring loom.

10. #20 Re: Dodgy wiring ... 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    As I have said before there appears to be a strong correlation between modern Ethanol fuels and fuel system problems.
    Certainly, pump and seal materials from 30 years ago would not have been required to be compatible, and I woukd be wary of chinesium products.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.