New Marlin owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Marlin owner

Hi folks. I have after many years finally become a Berlinetta owner. This car is in need of lots of love and tlc. I will be picking everyone’s brains as to where I can get parts as I need some already.
    My first question is. This car has been off the road fir nearly 17 years and yesterday I stuck a battery on it to see if it would turn over. It was completely dead with no ignition lights or anything. Upon further fault finding I traced the fault to what seems like a broken toggle switch under the dash. The panel lights were on but no ignition. When I unplugged this plug the panel lights went out. I then had a play about with bridging wires on the plug to this switch and finally got the ignition lights to work with the key.

where would I get this switch as it only has a small umber on the inside. Not sure if I can put a picture up?

I have loads more questions but need this first so I can then start to try and get it started

thanks.

Re: New Marlin owner

I think it’s the main light switch.

Comment

Is this the one that was for sale in Scotland the other week? If so it did say they tried to put electronic ignition on it.
      regards
      Liz

Comment

Sounds to me like someone fitted a crude ignition immobiliser to prevent the car from being started, even with a key.
        Not completely unheard of in the KitCar world where open cockpits are much more common.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Yes this is the one that was for sale in Scotland. I bought it. I have traced the fault. The switch that was broken is purely for the lights. The ignition switch is worn and wasn’t putting the ignition on. I have taken it out and cleaned and wd40 it and now have ignition lights and everything but it won’t engage starter. If I bridge the wires the starter works. So I now need a light switch and the bottom part of the ignition barrel. I have found out that this car hasn’t been taxed or on the road in nearly 26 years. I did a compression test on the 4 cylinders and they are all about 50 psi so looks like the heads needing to come off before I do anymore work. Is there somewhere where I can get parts for this. It’s based on a cortina. Many thanks

Comment

Welcome to the club.

Is this the white with blue wings car ? If so, for the archive database please
            can you tell me the Marlin kit(chassis) number, it's on a small plate as in this
            picture.....however it may be on the other side of the car !

I do not think you will have any problems getting engine parts

Best Wishes Dave Cunnington
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Twinstacks, This is one of the many joys of resurrecting a neglected kit car. You don't know if it worked when it was left or was it dumped because OP couldn't fix it. Sometimes lash it up till it works then rip it apart and do it right. Good luck, enjoy.
              Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
                Welcome to the club.

Is this the white with blue wings car ? If so, for the archive database please
                can you tell me the Marlin kit(chassis) number, it's on a small plate as in this
                picture.....however it may be on the other side of the car !

I do not think you will have any problems getting engine parts

Best Wishes Dave Cunnington
                it is indeed white with blue wings. I sent you a pm. Hope that was ok.

Comment

Well I decided to take cylinder head off or should I say try to. Looking at the state of the valve stems and guides I think it’s going to take a major clean up. I am actually enjoying it. One question. I have taken everything off and removed the 10 head bolts but the head refuses to detach from the block. Am I missing something or has it welded itself to the block.

many thanks for all the answers. More questions to come so apologies for asking so many.

Comment

Originally posted by twinstacks View Post
                    Well I decided to take cylinder head off or should I say try to. Looking at the state of the valve stems and guides I think it’s going to take a major clean up. I am actually enjoying it. One question. I have taken everything off and removed the 10 head bolts but the head refuses to detach from the block. Am I missing something or has it welded itself to the block.

many thanks for all the answers. More questions to come so apologies for asking so many.
                    Not sure which engine you have, possibly Pinto?

The technique I have used with success in the past is to take a couple of old kitchen knives, the ones that taper across their width, and gently tap them into the join between the head and the block at opposite corners of the head to break the seal. It destroys the gasket but as that will be replaced anyway it doesn't matter.

In obstinate cases turning the engine over on the starter, with the ignition leads disconnected will sometimes work. In the final extreme (engine stood in a field for many years) remove the crankshaft and pistons and use a bit of 3x2 wood up the bores with a lump hammer to let it know you mean to succeed! Peter.

Comment

Many thanks. I will give it a bash tomorrow after work. Looking at the state of the inside of the head it might be rusted together. Brute force it is then. How would I know if the exhaust valves have been converted to unleaded and if not is there a rough cost to get this done?

cheers

Comment

When I looked at the pictures there was no rocker cover on the engine. Could have been like that for a long time? Unlikely to have been converted if laid up over 20 years.
                        Liz

Comment

Personally, if it were me, and the head does indeed need converting to unleaded, I would think seriously about getting the head ported to release a few more horses.
                          There are numerous Ford parts suppliers chose one local to you, posting heavy parts can get very expensive.

Take a look at this if you have deep pockets.
                          MOC member since 05/97
                          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

0484F8DF-A7A7-44E7-988B-0FE2D8FB9A68.jpeg4C886B75-0DE3-4A81-96F4-7050F2FCF030.jpeg
                            Finally got the head off and it doesn’t look to bad. Can anybody give me any info on the pistons or valves as I am going to put rings in it before rebuilding. Thanks

Comment

Cant help with your specific question but previous experience with my head gaskets may be of use. Some years ago now, when I overhauled the Pinto head on my 2.0GL Sierra I fitted an aftermarket replacement cylinder head gasket that came with the kit. After all was refitted and everything torqued up to spec, imagine my horror at seeing coolant pouring down the sides of the engine!

The reason was that the reinforcing metal inserts around the bores in the aftermarket gasket were either too thick or too hard. This resulted in the gasket not squashing down and sealing the cooland passages correctly! Replaced with correct Ford gasket and all was well. 😁 Peter.

Comment

Working...
                              X