Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: New Marlin owner

Hybrid View

1. #1 New Marlin owner 
    regular forum contributor Club Member
    Hi folks. I have after many years finally become a Berlinetta owner. This car is in need of lots of love and tlc. I will be picking everyone’s brains as to where I can get parts as I need some already.
    My first question is. This car has been off the road fir nearly 17 years and yesterday I stuck a battery on it to see if it would turn over. It was completely dead with no ignition lights or anything. Upon further fault finding I traced the fault to what seems like a broken toggle switch under the dash. The panel lights were on but no ignition. When I unplugged this plug the panel lights went out. I then had a play about with bridging wires on the plug to this switch and finally got the ignition lights to work with the key.

where would I get this switch as it only has a small umber on the inside. Not sure if I can put a picture up?

I have loads more questions but need this first so I can then start to try and get it started

thanks.

2. #2 Re: New Marlin owner 
    I think it’s the main light switch.

3. #3 Re: New Marlin owner 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Is this the one that was for sale in Scotland the other week? If so it did say they tried to put electronic ignition on it.
    regards
    Liz

4. #4 Re: New Marlin owner 
    Yes this is the one that was for sale in Scotland. I bought it. I have traced the fault. The switch that was broken is purely for the lights. The ignition switch is worn and wasn’t putting the ignition on. I have taken it out and cleaned and wd40 it and now have ignition lights and everything but it won’t engage starter. If I bridge the wires the starter works. So I now need a light switch and the bottom part of the ignition barrel. I have found out that this car hasn’t been taxed or on the road in nearly 26 years. I did a compression test on the 4 cylinders and they are all about 50 psi so looks like the heads needing to come off before I do anymore work. Is there somewhere where I can get parts for this. It’s based on a cortina. Many thanks

5. #5 Re: New Marlin owner 
    Welcome to the club.

Is this the white with blue wings car ? If so, for the archive database please
    can you tell me the Marlin kit(chassis) number, it's on a small plate as in this
    picture.....however it may be on the other side of the car !

I do not think you will have any problems getting engine parts

Best Wishes Dave Cunnington
    Attached Images

6. #6 Re: New Marlin owner 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Hi Twinstacks, This is one of the many joys of resurrecting a neglected kit car. You don't know if it worked when it was left or was it dumped because OP couldn't fix it. Sometimes lash it up till it works then rip it apart and do it right. Good luck, enjoy.
    Dave

7. #7 Re: New Marlin owner 
    Quote Originally Posted by dcunn View Post
    Welcome to the club.

Is this the white with blue wings car ? If so, for the archive database please
    can you tell me the Marlin kit(chassis) number, it's on a small plate as in this
    picture.....however it may be on the other side of the car !

I do not think you will have any problems getting engine parts

Best Wishes Dave Cunnington
    it is indeed white with blue wings. I sent you a pm. Hope that was ok.

8. #8 Re: New Marlin owner 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Sounds to me like someone fitted a crude ignition immobiliser to prevent the car from being started, even with a key.
    Not completely unheard of in the KitCar world where open cockpits are much more common.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.